Respected Contributor

Re: Rudeness from stranger. What would you do?

@Adamlambert wrote:

cara, I see good friends at the gym that I want to talk to, but we both just smile and keep exercising. Maybe it depends on your ultimate goal?

I agree. I think maybe the OP was not aware of her conversation being loud. I am sure she was not screaming but it was loud enough that the guy was annoyed. 

I don't think  he should have yelled shut up that was just rude. He obviously was exacerbated by the situation and reacted. So It becomes a sticky situation because he is annoyed and the OP is offended. So they both feel justified in how they feel. 

Oh well if I can't go to the gym when I know its going to be quiet or not crowded I go outside for a run. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@nun ya wrote:

This is why I don't work out Smiley Tongue

When it comes to not working out, I say any excuse is a good one.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@judy0330 wrote:

I think you and your friend did exactly the right thing.  There are so many unstable people out there so why take the chance of antagonizing him further?  Hopefully the gym management dealt with him.  It was their responsibility to do so -- not yours.

I would go to the gym management and clarify what the rules of the establishment are regarding a situation such as this.  I would also report the incident to the management.  I would make certain to do that right away, because I am sure that it has video as most gyms do today. I would point out this particular person to them.  And, I would never turn your back on this man.  Recall Maya Angelou, "When someone reveals themselves to you, believe them the first time."

Esteemed Contributor

Not commenting on the OP's conversation, but I have repeatedly been subjected to someone's LOUD cell phone conversations.  This happens in stores, restaurants, and worse, in the waiting room of a Dr office.  I always want to say something but don't because people are nuts these days. For heaven's sake, some people think their lives are so important and it is all about them. Think of others for a change!  Step away or outside to talk, others don't want or need to be part of your conversation.  There is a lot to be said for peace and quiet at times.

Honored Contributor

First, there was nothing at "random" about this.  I'll begin by saying that it was wrong of you and your friend to stand by the treadmills, in a small gym, holding on a long conversation about this and that.  It wasn't a simple "Hi, how are you", you had quite the conversation going.  The man was 100% correct, you should have gone off and had your conversation somewhere more appropriate.  I do think he was wrong and rude when he yelled at you.  I do think, since you don't seem to be aware of gym etiquette, that he should have asked if you could move aware from the treadmills.  You know....since when you were talking....you weren't actually using a treadmill.  You were wrong in answering him back, that could have been dangerous.  You didn't know him.  You had no way of knowing if he would get physical.  Don't you read newspapers?  There are lot of gyms out there, they are a business and my guess is that the gym did not want to alienate either of you.  Since you were both wrong and it seems both pretty obnoxious.  So they didn't.  Nothing actually happened.  Usually in gyms the "rules" are posted and no talking talking and socializing at the machines is in the top 3.  You have to keep things in persective, of course.  I'm guessing you and your friend were loud for a small gym.  If the two of you were on adjacent machines and conversing in a low tone, that would have been a whole different thing.  You wouldn't have been disturbing anyone.   

Respected Contributor

The OP was better than I would of been..I would of told him to mind his own business..and not as nicely put. I hate when people think they can dictate to others like that.

As for working out and not talking. I have yet to go to any gym that was quiet. I often see people on their phones yaking away loudly lol..so a conversation between two people is non issue.

At least you took the higher road..ignored him and reported him. I may of not been so adult like and would of stooped to the level of telling him where it was at.

Hopefully Mgmt speaks to him about his behavior to another member.

Honored Contributor

@NativeJax wrote:
Is there any signs posted that say "quiet or no talking, grunting or loud noises" people need signs and warnings apparently

I was beginning to think that I was the only one who has seen such signs, prominently post, in gyms.   Indeed, I have even seen gyms address the un called for grunting.  You know....the " everybody look how hard I'm working out" grunts.  It's a matter of common sense really.  There's a reason why people wear ear phones when they listen to music when they work out. 

Trusted Contributor

I have seen them posted at a gym before....the grunted need to go to a gym for true bodybuilder's... They have gyms like that...grunters and the ones who drop the bars do kind of irritate me but I would just stop going there and find a better gym
Super Contributor

@Deanie wrote:

@judy0330 wrote:

I think you and your friend did exactly the right thing.  There are so many unstable people out there so why take the chance of antagonizing him further?  Hopefully the gym management dealt with him.  It was their responsibility to do so -- not yours.

I would go to the gym management and clarify what the rules of the establishment are regarding a situation such as this.  I would also report the incident to the management.  I would make certain to do that right away, becasue I am sure that it has video as most gyms do today. I would point out this particular person to them.  And, I would never turn your back on this man.  Recal Maya Angelou, "When someone reveals themselves to you, believe them the first time."

Oh, I told them exactly what guy it was and I also believe he is what he showed himself to be...someone who couldn't explain himself without raging.  I will go back to the gym at nights again because I haven't ever encountered someone like him before and I just don't want to deal with him.

Respected Contributor

I have seen posted signs to be quiet/low talking in smaller gyms at hotels I have stayed at but most gyms don't have these signs. You did the right thing to report him. I would have told him off if that happened to me.