Super Contributor

Re: Rudeness from stranger. What would you do?

@judy0330 wrote:

Totally agree with Millieshops.  I am surprised at all the responses from posters saying that they would have confronted the man.  I had a road rage situation in my own family.  A fender bender where my uncle and the other guy got out of their cars -- and the guy hit my uncle over the head with a hammer.  You never know who you are dealing with.  Perhaps some people think that confrontation is worth that kind of possibile outcome.  Personally -- I do not.

Wow.  That is awful.  I always speak to my husband about not reacting when we get cut off on the road for fear of something crazy like that.  My husband may think he can defend himself but, it doesn't matter if somebody else brings a weapon to a fistfight...

Respected Contributor

you did everything exactly correctly according to gym etiquette. report it to management and let them take care of it.  i belong to a gym and that is what i would do.  this man was totally out of line.  gym owners are used to this type of behavior and can handle it.

Respected Contributor

Playing devils advocate here is my pov.

I teach on occasion Spin at our local gym as well as having managed and supervised over the years from that stand point I would look at both sides.

Was he rude in his delivery?   yes but he obviously felt you were too loud. Not saying you were just looking at his side. 

Would I go to management?  yes because they should be aware of a situation that may have the potential of escalating.  Having had to speak to members I always tried to have an open mind and hear both sides before speaking. 

Personally nothing is more annoying then working out and having to listen to someone else's conversation.  You may think your not distracting or loud but you could be. When I workout I don't want to hear other people. That is just me and yes being in a public spot that is inevitably  going to happen. The trade off of working out in public but that being said, I would hope my fellow gym goers would observe that talking can become distracting and using the excuse music and weights clanking is not pass to carry on conversation. While others around you are trying to concentrate. You don't know where this guys head was at. And just because you are a regular dosen't mean you get to ignore common courtesy of not interrupting others workout.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@NativeJax wrote:
That's terrible. I think you handled it correctly but I probably would have gave him the finger and kept on talking.... Oh and your question about random rudeness...have you been on this forum much? Lol there are some pretty hostile people on it sometimes.

You seem a little hostile to me.  You flip somebody the finger as you put in public I wouldn't be surprised if you make our newspaper of getting shot and killed for that.  People are crazy today.  You don't go around flipping the finger to people.  They may just pull out a gun and shoot you.

Super Contributor

@Kardi wrote:

I believe I'd have done exactly what you did.  Although my gut reaction would be to tell the idiot where to go, realistically that wouldn't change him and would only be lowering me to his level.  For me the worst thing about encountering someone like that is that it emotionally upsets me for days although it isn't my fault.  Telling him off wouldn't make me feel any better.

Agreed.  I was a wreck all day yesterday after I left the gym, I had trouble falling asleep last night running it over in my mind, and here I am posting about it this morning.  It was a real shocker to me.

Trusted Contributor

It is possible that Mr. Universe had himself a good case of roid rage cooking.
Honored Contributor

@AnotherView2, you did the right thing, and I am so sorry this happened to you... Jerk was probably waiting for a cellphone call so he could talk louder than anyone..... what an idiot..

You hang in there & enjoy your time & friends at the gym even more..  I believe I'd have to raise my voice level a little more but then I'm bad.. 

Go VOLS
Rocky Top you'll always be home sweet home to me.. Good ole Rocky Top, Rocky Top Tennessee... Rocky Top Tennessee
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@AnotherView2 wrote:

.....go over to verbally confront him but, I'm glad that I didn't because it may have come to some violence.  

Wow.

I was reading along going,

'yeah, I know exactly what she means'.....

then....this ^^^ was mentioned.  

Negates anything prior.  

That's a whole-lotta unnecessary emotion into a minor incident.  Immediately makes me think there's more, much more, to the story.

Was he right for raising his voice?  Of course not.

But....maybe he WAS  right.  

Maybe this wasn't the first time people were talking in the area.

And if you were talking about supplements & job search....that's a long conversation....more than a head nod & 'Wassup?!'

It would only take one time for someone to point this out.  

I would stop, apologize & move on.

I do know conversational noise can be VERY disruptive.

Just recently, in a room of 60 bikes, music on the loudspeakers, instructor cueing the routine....there were 2 gals in the back of the room quietly carrying on a conversation.   The instructor kept looking around...trying to figure out who was talking.   He finally had to turn off the music & ask "WHO is talking?  Please take the conversation outside!".  Six rows behind me...I could hear it, as well.  It bugged all of us. 

Even when you're listening to your iPod, if someone 3 treadmills down is quietly talking to someone...or even on their phone....it's VERY disruptive.  You can hear every word.  Don't know what's the science is behind that...but we just do.

Being a 'regular', the rules might have gotten a little loose. I would take the high road.  I would 'own it' and apologize next time I would see him & move on. 

ETA:

There's current thread titled "Do you admit if you are wrong?"

I would highly recommend posters read that post...and glean something from it. Learn. Apply.

Trusted Contributor

@blingfling....
Guess I needed to put "just joking" sheesh....I did put LOL but I did put how rude people are on this forum thankfully there are others, like yourself who are so pleasant to debate with...have a pleasant day
Super Contributor

@NativeJax wrote:
Is there any signs posted that say "quiet or no talking, grunting or loud noises" people need signs and warnings apparently

Nothing, no signs.  I have gone to this gym regularly for years, typically in the evenings.  This was a rarity for me to go during the daytime.

In the evenings, everybody is doing their thing usually with earbuds or earplugs.  You will hear a conversation occasionally, but people know to keep it at a respectful level and not drone on.  That was what we were doing.  Not being too loud, etc.  But, like most gyms, it isn't really quiet.  When people come in, expecially regulars, the staff will say hi and be very friendly occasionally starting their own conversation directed at the gym goer.