Esteemed Contributor

Re: Rudeness from stranger. What would you do?

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@truffle wrote:

I think you did the right thing.  For some reason you and your friend triggered his obvious mental illness.   What's next I would wonder. 

@truffle

What is it that makes you believe he has "obvious mental illness"?    Can you please be specific?

Perhaps the OP was much louder (and annoying) than she believes.    Not wanting to be subjected to her blathering while working our doesn't automatically make the other guy mentally ill .... but perhaps you're referring to something else?

I agree with you, Tinkrbl44.

It's like, someone can't get mad, without being dismissed and labled as "mentally ill".

Esteemed Contributor

If the man heard you from 3 treadmills away and over the music and gym noises, you were probably much louder than you thought. (not that yelling "shut up" is acceptable).  You have some responsibility is this situation.  You were correct to discontinue your conversation untill a later date and place.

Honored Contributor

People on this board are very quick to call others names like mentally ill, mean, rude and any other degrading thing they can think of as soon as a response or an action or opinion is different than their's. It never dawns on them that doing so makes them appear  mean, rude or maybe mentally ill.

Trusted Contributor

@151949  Could not have said it better.

Occasional Contributor

Be careful how you respond to people . We live in a different world now. Think of all the people who have been stalked for some sort of reason .

Go to gym , work out and leave . .Stay safe some issues are not worth the effort.

Respected Contributor

Wow, I would of been inclined to say something, then come to regret it. I think you did the right thing and I am sorry you had to go thru that.

Sleep sweet Bo 3/19/08 8/4/18
Esteemed Contributor

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@truffle wrote:

I think you did the right thing.  For some reason you and your friend triggered his obvious mental illness.   What's next I would wonder. 

@truffle

What is it that makes you believe he has "obvious mental illness"?    Can you please be specific?

Perhaps the OP was much louder (and annoying) than she believes.    Not wanting to be subjected to her blathering while working our doesn't automatically make the other guy mentally ill .... but perhaps you're referring to something else?

I agree with you, Tinkrbl44.

It's like, someone can't get mad, without being dismissed and labled as "mentally ill".

I agree too.  I would use words like "frustrated" and "angry"  But "mentally ill" is a huge leap to make.  Not everyone who has a bad moment is mentally ill.

I'm not doubting the OP's story at all, but I'm sure his side of it would be quite different. According to what the OP said, his reaction was inappropriate, but that doesn't mean he was totally in the wrong, and it also doesn't mean that he's mentally ill.  There's absolutely nothing to support that given the information provided here.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Honored Contributor

@Daisy wrote:

If 2 men had been talking, I bet he wouldn't have told them to "shut up".

"If 2 men had been talking...."

Ah, yeah....that wouldn't have happened.  

Men don't drone on & on about "shtuff".

It's like saying, "If 2 unicorns had been talking....."

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Daisy wrote:

If 2 men had been talking, I bet he wouldn't have told them to "shut up".

It probably made him feel very manly to tell 2 women to shut up. LOL

@Daisy Sunflower I agree with you completely!! Much easier to pick on 2 women who he had a fixation on.  I don't believe for one moment that the OP and her friend were speaking too loud  And how does that work that he is allowed to be the LOUDEST???

hmmmmm?