Respected Contributor

Re: Rudeness from stranger. What would you do?

I think the man went too far, but I think you should have ended your conversation and taken it elsewhere after his first complaint. I work out regularly at a gym and it is considered bad form to engage in conversation in the "cardio area" or any other designated "quiet zone". Maybe you did not know this. Now some people are not bothered by this so you can get away with it (or you can continue gabbing without being challenged at least). Other people are annoyed by "intruding" noise", conversation or otherwise. It is very often dependent on the individual person, so most gyms will handle that ambiguity by forbidding conversation and the use of cell phones in the cardio area period. My gym has signs posted informing members of this rule

So it seems to depend on who is within earshot and what they can tolerate much of the time. When I'm engaging in my high intensity interval training on the machines, I find it overwhelmingly annoying and rude when people around me engage in conversation or do other things like whistle, pound medicine balls into concrete adjacent walls, pull out balls and start ab work or other stuff. It interferes with your ability to stay in your "zone" mentally,and that is necessary to complete difficult training. I know I'm not alone, because the signs are clear evidence that it bothers other people. 

You did the right thing reporting his unacceptable behavior. He should have reported you if it bothered him that much, and allowed the gym employees to handle the confrontation. If I were you, I'd try to be more cognizant of other people and what they're doing in the future, and try to be more considerate of their needs too.

Honored Contributor

Tell him to myob. or ignore,

It's not a class, who cares.

Don't let it bother you.

Trusted Contributor

@pitdakota wrote:

I would have gone on about my business and finished the conversation.  I consider it his problem.  If further disruption resulted from this man, then management could have been called over to deal with him.

When I go out into public or public spaces I understand that all people are not going to conform to my likes or dislikes.  A gym is a public place.  If people like peace and quiet with no conversations or distraction they can start their own gym that makes the rules & have a silent gym.  Or they can save money and purchase their own exercise equipment to work out in their own home where they do set the rules. 

I AGREE. I  would have ignored the idiot and carried on with my conversation. I would have also told management about what happened.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Esteemed Contributor

You handled it just fine.  No idea why he reacted that way... you cannot control his behavior. But you handled yours quite well.  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Daisy wrote:

You should have whipped out a stun gun and zapped him a few times.

Absolutely!  And if that didn't do the trick, she could pistol-whip him next.  (Posters taking this seriously in 3, 2, 1.)

Honored Contributor

@nun ya wrote:

Depends how feisty I was that day. Knowing me, I would have told him to mind his own ****** business.

Whoa, I don't think I would have done that. As someone said, there are some very unstable people out there. You could have set him off even more. OR, maybe he just had some bad news, maybe he was hurting over something. One never knows. There are a lot of things you could have done, but I think saying something like, 'oh, sorry' and tell your friend you'd talk to her later would have been good. But keep your eye on this guy and don't work out anywhere near him. It's scary out there.

Trusted Contributor

my DH is a loud whisperer, I keep trying to shush him when he whispers.  I have even told him at home, in the privacy of our own home. He doesn't  pay attention to me 

On the flipside of this  when I get a small soud in my ears , it just gets louder and louder.  This situation sounds just like DH and I, LOUD whisper, super sonic hearing.

Both parties are correct, both parties are wrong.  Just my very own personal, humble opinion--'--------tedEbear

Honored Contributor

why I have a recumbent bike at home and husband has his treadmill out in the garage. LOL

Esteemed Contributor

None of us really knows what exactly happened at this gym but the reaction is exactly why I never tell someone to take their loud cell phone call elsewhere.  Few people actually admit they didn't consider others.  They defend their rudeness. Also so many crazy people in the world and it has become an all about ME world.