Honored Contributor

I was in Costco, waiting for my GS to get through the order line at the snack bar. I kid you not, I still am totally dumbfounded, but this man (about 40 years old) bent over a bit in line and hawked a loogie on the floor! Spit on floor. INDOORS, by the food bar!!!. I was so ill I had to turn away and gag. What is the matter with people? Up until about 1920 you could get a citation if you spit in public. Even back then they realized the flu could be spread!

This young lady was in the store with 2 kids. Her daughter about 6 years old, was barking with a cold. A seal bark! Short sleeve shirt on, nothing around her neck, just coughing all over. Her cheeks were two rosy red chapped circles. It was 49 degrees outside, 52 in the sun! I am thinking, I don't want to use shopping carts anymore, or even walk on floors at Costco!

They wonder why the spread of disease and flu is so bad among kids !

Esteemed Contributor
On 1/22/2015 Jannabelle said: Remember when parents taught their children manners? Cover your mouth when you cough, .....say please thankyou, excuse me,...don't stare,etc, etc.

Our 15 month old granddaughter says, "up, up, pease," when she wants you to pick her up, then says, "ta tu," followed by the sign language sign for "thank you." My DD and SIL have really done a good job and I'm so proud of them.

Honored Contributor

I commiserate with you. So many times I am just sickened by other people's horrible behavior. No matter where you go --- shopping, out to eat, doctor's offices, driving, sporting events, etc., people just don't act like they have one bit of respect, manners, common sense, etc. I avoid as many things as possible because of this, but no matter where you go, you can't avoid it. The attitude these days for the most part is --- me, me, me. No one has any respect for the rights of others.

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor
On 1/22/2015 Pqfan said:

I wonder why wearing face mask never caught on over here. I watch a lot of tv from Japan and it is no big deal to see people wearing mask, but if we put them on over here people would run from us. ?

I rarely see people wearing masks out in public.

Trusted Contributor
On 1/22/2015 Jannabelle said:
On 1/22/2015 GoodStuff said:

The coughing isn't surprising. There are a lot of colds and flu around with bad coughs associated.......and when people are sick, they go to the doctor's office! My beef would be with the doctor's office if they don't have a separate waiting area for sick people. I don't like the smell of cigarettes, either, but there's not much you can do about a smoker who steps outside to smoke and returns smelling of cigarettes.

The loud talking on the phone and use of bad language in public was very rude, though. I can't believe how thoughtless and indiscreet some people are with their phones.

What do you think of ADULTS who cough, sneeze all over food, groceries, not even attempting to cover up?...

I agree doctors should have separate waiting areas, hand sanitizer and masks.

Of course people should try to cover their coughs and sneezes! On the other hand, if they're actively ill, it's almost impossible to catch every cough, sneeze, or splatter......and even if they do, their hands, tissues, and everything they touch or breathe on will be contaminated. It's best to stay home when you're sick, but that isn't always possible either.

Esteemed Contributor
What about when you 're walking down the street and four kids coming walking opposite direction toward, not one of them will move , so I just stop in my tracks and it makes one move. Or bikers are always on a soap box about cars, they think they own the road and sidewalk and have no manners. Back in the day, a biker would say, on your right or left,so you could step aside ,yesterday, I almost got knocked down twice. It seems like the 30 to 40 generation did not teach their kids manners.
Respected Contributor
On 1/23/2015 qvcaddition said: What about when you 're walking down the street and four kids coming walking opposite direction toward, not one of them will move , so I just stop in my tracks and it makes one move. Or bikers are always on a soap box about cars, they think they own the road and sidewalk and have no manners. Back in the day, a biker would say, on your right or left,so you could step aside ,yesterday, I almost got knocked down twice. It seems like the 30 to 40 generation did not teach their kids manners.

When this type of thing happens, I am tempted to fake a fall just to prove a point; take a dive in a dramatic fashion to see if the offender notices and starts to feel bad.

No, I've never actually done this, but I think about !

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Respected Contributor
On 1/23/2015 sfnative said:
On 1/22/2015 Jannabelle said: Remember when parents taught their children manners? Cover your mouth when you cough, .....say please thankyou, excuse me,...don't stare,etc, etc.

Our 15 month old granddaughter says, "up, up, pease," when she wants you to pick her up, then says, "ta tu," followed by the sign language sign for "thank you." My DD and SIL have really done a good job and I'm so proud of them.

manners are taught to children from the early beginnings become second nature to them by the time they are in school and then throughout adulthood.

Honored Contributor

My dentist and doctor have signs to TURN OFF your cell phones when you enter their offices.

Honored Contributor
On 1/23/2015 terrier3 said:

My dentist and doctor have signs to TURN OFF your cell phones when you enter their offices.

I don't go to doctors anymore, but I DO see that at the dentist's office. Of course, you probably already guessed it - people don't turn off their phones. I was in one of the rooms once and heard the patient's phone, from the room next to me, ringing. I also see them in the waiting room piddling around on their phones. I'm very curious as to what would happen if people like this HAD to go without their phones for a day. I can't even imagine!