Honored Contributor
On 1/22/2015 chickenbutt said:

Speaking of bodily functions in public - am I the only one who just about loses it when somebody at a nearby table blows their nose in a restaurant?

It seems like it's always the big, loud, takes a while to get through it, nose-blowers too. heh

I get that things could suddenly happen (well, kind of - but not 99.999% of the time with nose-blowing), but why wouldn't somebody go to the restroom to blow their nose instead of doing it in the middle of a room where everybody is eating?

Dear Lord, that's just out right nasty!! Makes me sick at my stomach!

Go VOLS
Rocky Top you'll always be home sweet home to me.. Good ole Rocky Top, Rocky Top Tennessee... Rocky Top Tennessee
Respected Contributor

Speaking of bodily functions in public - am I the only one who just about loses it when somebody at a nearby table blows their nose in a restaurant?

It seems like it's always the big, loud, takes a while to get through it, nose-blowers too. heh

I get that things could suddenly happen (well, kind of - but not 99.999% of the time with nose-blowing), but why wouldn't somebody go to the restroom to blow their nose instead of doing it in the middle of a room where everybody is eating?

Yes, it makes me want to lose my lunch. I can't stand being coughed on either. If someone directly coughs on me, I tell them Thank you.

Super Contributor

I would rather they blew their nose and got it over with, than just sit there sniffing for an hour. I find sniffers worse than blowers, personally.

Esteemed Contributor

I'm glad my trips out in "public" are limited these days.

When I worked and commuted on a bus, I felt like I was in a Petri dish. The coughing, sniffing, snorting, snoring and hacking up were enough to churn your stomach. Add to that phones ringing and loud conversations and I was sure some mornings I would run screaming up the aisle.

One time, a driver pulled over and refused to go on until the person talking on their phone hung up. He mounted a sign after that, "no talking on cell phones." I doubt they observed this rule for long, but I made a point to change buses. It was just as bad or worse no matter what bus I took.

Not to mention co-workers who coughed endlessly all day saying it was allergies.

In the store, at doctor's offices, just out and about, I see people walking mindlessly staring at phones or talking loudly. Can they not set it down for a minute?

Coughing and hacking without covering has just become routine. Sniffing and blowing in a dining room is enough to make ANYONE sick, but I see (and hear it) all the time.

Manners? Long gone my friends.

Honored Contributor

Honestly, this doesn't bother me in the least.

But you know that stupid Value City Furniture commercial where the couples are gagging over their ugly coffee table? Hearing them gag makes me gag.

Super Contributor

Lack of manners, rudeness, revolting nose blowing, etc., is not exclusive to the lower classes. I am remembering having dinner at a very expensive eatery in Manhattan. The place was filled with lots of high highfalutin types and some were equally as obnoxious. The dress code required jackets for men, but there were a group of men at the next table wearing shorts, deck shoes without socks and Golf shirts. They were laughing loud and hard, one guy was sneezing and wiping his nose on his napkin, another one was using his fingers to eat and taste everyone's food. They were texting, taking pics, etc. You name a restaurant etiquette rule, they broke all of them. We had the misfortune of getting stuck at the table right beside them. I'm sure their stuffed shirt parents taught them how to behave growing up but they appeared to not care about anyone but themselves. I'm really surprised this restaurant let them in considering how they were dressed but it appeared they were spending lots of money. Oh and they had a young boy with them who was bored and misbehaving and I saw no scolding from any of the adults. It was pretty late in the evening too but the poor kid had t to sit there when he should have been in bed.

The Champagne was flowing and so were numerous bottles of wine and that's all the restaurant was interested in..their $$$$$.{#emotions_dlg.rolleyes}

Honored Contributor

People don't seem to have manners these days.

Super Contributor

It's really sad the lack of manners these days but it ultimately comes down to how these individuals were raised. Poor parenting skills. People just don't seem to care anymore either!

Trusted Contributor

I have to agree, people just don't care anymore. They are in to themselves, whatever makes them happy, and do not think of others.

Esteemed Contributor
I wish all clinics and doctor's offices would be required to provide a well patient waiting room. Sometimes I go in perfectly healthy, like I just need a TB skin test for work or to have it read, and it not only takes hours, but I also have to sit around people who obviously have flu or sinus symptoms that could be contagious, and they make no efforts to contain the germs. I used to live in an area where well patient waiting rooms were the norm, but I moved and I haven't found anyone around here with one.