Super Contributor

Rude CS at a dept store cosmetic counter..would you report..?

Because a lot of department store cosmetic counters have GWP for Mother's Day right now, and I could stand to get a few new makeup things, and I had a little bonu$$$$, I decided to pop into a not so local department store tonight, perhaps for a new perfume, or some new makeup, or both!! In particular, I was hoping to find a match for a blush shade that I purchased online from this department store, so I figured a SA could help, as sometimes the lighting makes shades look different once I get home. 

This particular DS (department store), I have had issues with sometimes in the past, and there's been rumours for a few years now that it will close, and people kind of wonder how this one even stays open.  Anyhow, there were 2 gals working, one had her face buried inside a Clinque cabinet, 'pretending' to be organzing, is my guess..perhaps she really was....another 'bun gal' (she had her hair in a bun) said a very begruding 'can I help you' when she knew I noticed her.....in a voice that made it seem like she wanted to be anywhere else..I guess working at this DS in particular sucks, bc CS at this DS is often awful. I asked her about the blush I purchased, and said I was hoping to find a lip shade to match..she moved very begrudgingly to help..acted as if I asked her to rotate my tires or something not beauty related..She pulled up the blush tester I purchased..and long story short (yes I know this is already long), she just kind of stood there, so I began looking at some lip shades myself..she finally showed me some lip shades, but it was clear she was absolutely miserable..poor thing..I know working with the public stinks, I did it for years, but..it's your job, honey.. 

This was at 7:00PM, not even close to closing time or anything, but she acted as if I was coming in ten minutes before closing and asking for a full makeoveror something crazy... I asked her if I could try on a couple of the shades, and she said sure (in a 'whatever' tone....) and instead of directing me to a mirror or giving me some test applicators, I had to find my own mirror and my own swabs.. This girl is losing points left and right.. Sorry, I know retail sucks, but this was pretty bad..... 

The last straw for me was when I walked back around to where the 'bun girl' was, and she and the Clinque girl were stifling laughs and they both stopped as soon as they saw me come back around.....that was it.. Sorry, but that was unprofessional and immature and just plain ignorant and rude.. I felt from the very beginning that this girl did not want to help me, and the Clinique girl never really took her face ut of the cabinet other than when bun girl walked over to her to laugh their little immature childish laughs.. 

That was it..again, I know retail sucks, but I was not asking anything huge from this girl.. I told the girl, 'sorry, it seems you don't really want to help me, and I saw you girls laughing at me, so I will come back tomorrow when someone else is here'.. She said a quick (but fake) 'oh no, we weren't laughing at you'..Yeah, right honey..I said again, 'that's okay, I will come back when somebody else is there that is more helpful'..I realize technically she did very begrudgingly show me some lip shades, but her whole atitude and then laughing behind my back..no thanks.. I then asked if someone could help me at the fragrance counter (bc this DS is not close to me, and I wanted to maybe at least purchase something while I was there) and she said 'I can help you'........REALLY..??? Wow, is she even serious, I thought..?

I said 'no thank you, I will come back when somebody else is working'..and I walked away and totally left the store..I am not sure I will even ever go back now..Certainly not the first time very bad CS at this exact DS.. 

I know this is small potatoes, but a cosmetic counter should be fun, not like you are putting the SA at a major inconvenience.....I mean the store was dead..horribly dead..I would think she would be happy to help somebody, not act as though I was a major inconvenience..which is the feeling I got the whole time, that I was putting her out..I guess maybe she hated breaking up her little gossip secetion with the Clinique girl for the night.... Smiley Frustrated 

I probably won't call the store manager, as it seems this DS in general doesn't care.....otherwise I would think this bad attitude that I get the very few times that I do go in to this DS, would not be an issue..With online shopping and constant rumours of this store closing, you would think CS would be their main priority.. 

I would be sad to see this store close, but given the bad attitude I've experienced the last few times I've been there, I can't say I would be surprised.....Kind of a shame.. 

So I guess I am just more or less venting..Smiley Frustrated

Sometimes I wonder why I even give this DS another chance.. Smiley Frustrated

QVC Customer Care

Re: Rude CS at a dept store cosmetic counter..would you report..?

Esteemed Contributor

I probably would have ask to see the floor manager or sent an email to Corporate.  Macy's, Penneys and Sears all responded when I difficulty in their stores.

Honored Contributor

You can't assume they were talking or laughing about you; you simply don't know. However, poor customer service is obvious when someone isn't happy to help you (which is the job), doesn't provide you with everything you need, stays with you while you try on products (they're supposed to as it's part of working in sales) in order to "add on" and suggest a lip liner or give you feedback on the shades you're trying.

You're probably right, they don't care because attitude comes from the top and rolls down. If they know the store is not doing well, if they're on a skeleton crew they're not going to get fired....I mean, there it is. You've said it before that this store is not known for good CS; perhaps that attitude is partially to blame for poor sales and poor sales means a store doesn't do well. Calling the store to complain will probably do nothing, therefore.

What you can do is contact Estee Lauder corporate CS and complain. Also complain to the Clinique division. If there's one thing EL is all about, it's excellent customer service. Thought paid peanuts, the SA's at the counter are the face of the company. Good luck. 

Next time, go to Nordstrom.

Honored Contributor

I am sorry you had a bad experience. Personally, I would not report either one of them as I would just chock it up to two women who were sick of working for perhaps minimum wage and weren't working there except to pay a few bills. I also highly doubt given what you said about their disinterest in helping you that they were laughing at you either.

I like going to a makeup counter where they leave me alone. I usually have some gushing sales person trying to sell me everything under the sun. The majority know little to nothing about anything they sell whereas years ago that wasn't the case.

Have you tried shopping at Sephora? I have never had a bad experience there...

Respected Contributor

@msh8970   I don't consider this "small potatoes".  They are representatives of the company, and regardless of if they were laughing at or about you, I certainly would contact the corporate office AND the store manager.  

Cosmetics is a competitive business, and if you can find your items elsewhere, nothing will drive customers away more than bad customer service. 

I have outgrown the "oh, I'll just put up with it" attitude that I had when I was younger.  I have no problem contacting a manager, or a corporate office.  I just make sure I have all the facts so it's not just a general complaint.

Try purchasing them online if you really want that brand.  You usually get some sort of free samples included when you get it on line too.

Don't put up with bad customer service - honestly, if you complain to the corporate office and store manager, you are doing them a favor, because if they've treated you that way, you can be assured that you aren't the only one experiencing bad service from those two. 

I once was looking for help in a local woman's clothing store, and the store rep told me to wait until she was finished straightening the bras.  Seriously, customers need to wait while you are moving bras around on a pole when all I needed was a dressing room opened?  She was not helping anyone else, just straightening the stock.  I told the manager (discreetly of course) and the service improved. 

Same with BBW, when a clerk told me flippantly that she was "already doing that" in a very sarcastic tone when I asked her to be careful with some artificial stems that were getting all entwined when she was shoving them into a bag (lot's of fragile small branches that were starting to fall off), I found the manager and reported her.  I work hard for my money, and don't need rudeness from a company that I'm trying to purchase items from. 

......You look like I need a drink.....
Honored Contributor

If I am not mistaken, the cosmetic companies rent their space from the department store. And the people who work at the cosmetic counters are employees of the cosmetic company.

I am sure they would be interested in your input. From what you said the sales for this company can not be good. And I am sure they would like to improve their sales.

Honored Contributor

I am not going to defend or condone the actions of the girls, they were rude, unprofessional and you had every right to be frustrated and angry.  I have encountered a few obnoxious sales people during my years of shopping.

I enjoy going to different stores and being out and about.  I do some on line shopping including the Q.  Fortunately the majority of people I encounter in the many stores I shop at are helpful and always professional.  If I did encounter a rude person, I might report it to the manager or at least call for one depending on the situation.  However, in all walks of life,, in all jobs , from all types of people on every level there are those who are arrogant, rude and shouldn't be in any public position.  I know this because I was a school counselor who worked with troubled families and pupils.  I had my share of experiencing abusive behavior .  However, I learned how to deal with these people and in the end I was a better person for it.

You did the right thing by walking away and not buying anything.  One way or another the girls will be looking for other jobs , they obviously shouldn't be in sales.

People who have jobs which deal with the public need to be skilled at public relations,, those who hire them should see the red flags.

Frequent Contributor

Having worked in retail for a number of years, part of time in management, I would absolutely report this incident to the cosmetic department manager for starters and to the General Manager of the store.

Cosmetic counters also have counter managers too.  By the way, they are all paid commssion too.  The first priority in retail is always the Customer.  That is why retail stores exist.  Hence, the reason more and more people shop on line as shopping a brick and mortor can be a challenge for a number of reasons.

In today's world fewer and fewer people know how to work in direct selling.  Not the same skills needed as in ringing a register at a supermarket, for example.  If they are not a people person it is always the wrong choice.  

Good luck.  If you don't say anything nothing can be done about this situation. 

Super Contributor

@SahmIam wrote:

You can't assume they were talking or laughing about you; you simply don't know. However, poor customer service is obvious when someone isn't happy to help you (which is the job), doesn't provide you with everything you need, stays with you while you try on products (they're supposed to as it's part of working in sales) in order to "add on" and suggest a lip liner or give you feedback on the shades you're trying.

You're probably right, they don't care because attitude comes from the top and rolls down. If they know the store is not doing well, if they're on a skeleton crew they're not going to get fired....I mean, there it is. You've said it before that this store is not known for good CS; perhaps that attitude is partially to blame for poor sales and poor sales means a store doesn't do well. Calling the store to complain will probably do nothing, therefore.

What you can do is contact Estee Lauder corporate CS and complain. Also complain to the Clinique division. If there's one thing EL is all about, it's excellent customer service. Thought paid peanuts, the SA's at the counter are the face of the company. Good luck. 

Next time, go to Nordstrom.

Well I certainly won't go back to this store again. I can excuse bad CS once at a place, but when it is often the case, then..yeah, I see why the store is always empty and why people wonder how it is even still open....And some of the attitude on here, 'blaming' the customer..really..?? Makes me see why stores close.. Again, I did not ask for much, I did not give attitude, if my post comes off angry, then..those writing trying to accuse me of being in the wrong..likely would not be happy with this CS, either.. I see this store closing in 3, 2, 1..and I won't wonder 'why'...