Honored Contributor

Re: Royal Carribean has a video of grandfather leaning out the window.

@VanSleepy wrote:

@GrailSeeker  I see what you are saying, and in the third photo above it looks like he is standing nearly upright.  But in the actual video you see that he bends over farther.  It also appears he's holding her with one hand at some point!

I read that the railing is 18" from the window.  I don't know how tall he is, of course, but with outstretched arms he would be past 18" even if he were perfectly upright you would think.  I know I would be.

@VanSleepy 

At one point in the video, he is holding her with only one hand.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

@KingstonsMom wrote:

@mousiegirl wrote:

@KingstonsMom wrote:

The cruise line filed a motion to dismiss the civil lawsuit against them, saying that it's obvious from the video and witness statements, that he DID know the window was open because he leaned out of the window for several seconds, bending at his waist, before he lifted her up and dangled her our of the window.

Witnesses say that he held her outside of the window and 'pretended' he was dropping her, for about 30 seconds, before he ultimately did drop her.

The judge will make a decision on dismissing the civil suit at the next hearing in March. 

@KingstonsMom   How insane is that!  He is totally to blame.  Hopefully, she passed before hitting the water, how horrific!

@mousiegirl 

What's even more horrific, she didn't hit the water, the ship was still at the dock in PR, she hit the concrete dock.

At least it was instantaneous, she didn't suffer, but that's little consolation since she's gone.

But witnesses did say that she screamed all the way down, poor baby.

@KingstonsMom   Heartwrenching, poor little soul.

Honored Contributor

@KingstonsMom wrote:

@VanSleepy wrote:

@GrailSeeker  I see what you are saying, and in the third photo above it looks like he is standing nearly upright.  But in the actual video you see that he bends over farther.  It also appears he's holding her with one hand at some point!

I read that the railing is 18" from the window.  I don't know how tall he is, of course, but with outstretched arms he would be past 18" even if he were perfectly upright you would think.  I know I would be.

@VanSleepy 

At one point in the video, he is holding her with only one hand.

@KingstonsMom  OMG, no way should this idiot get off easy.  I suppose the defense will be senility or negligent homicide or some such charge to let him off easier.  He has lived his life, and took the life of a precious little soul.  Having to live with the thought of what he did is no reason to let him off, the life he took does not live, period.

Respected Contributor

@Cakers3 wrote:

You can clearly see in all the pics of those windows throughout all these threads that there is no other window.

You have one set of windows, not two.  So even if he tried to say he leaned out and didn't realize another window was opened - that is nonsense.

There is only one set of windows.

I've been on RC and I know exactly how those windows are set up.

If he could bend at the waist, and he is much taller than I, then he had a clear view of the area.

100% responsible.   Yet I don't want jail for Anello.  The plea deal is satisfactory because the parents are not asking for severe punishment as would happen if Anello was not a family member.

The PR prosecution is being very generous and I believe drew up the plea with compassion for Anello.

No - the parents are asking for money from the cruiseline.

Respected Contributor

@mousiegirl wrote:

@KingstonsMom wrote:

The cruise line filed a motion to dismiss the civil lawsuit against them, saying that it's obvious from the video and witness statements, that he DID know the window was open because he leaned out of the window for several seconds, bending at his waist, before he lifted her up and dangled her our of the window.

Witnesses say that he held her outside of the window and 'pretended' he was dropping her, for about 30 seconds, before he ultimately did drop her.

The judge will make a decision on dismissing the civil suit at the next hearing in March. 

@KingstonsMom   How insane is that!  He is totally to blame.  Hopefully, she passed before hitting the water, how horrific!

There was no water.  They were in port.  She fell on concrete.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Johnnyeager wrote:

Oh geesh, I didn't hear that about the screaming.

And the parents and Anello still want to go through 2 trials and hear all of these horrific details........

I hadn't heard that either....how heartbreaking!  

I am thinking for Anello he is lying thur his teeth about not knowing the window was open.  In his mind he HAS to lie....otherwise he would have to look the parents in the eye and tell them WHAT he did.  He doesn't want them to know he had her on the railing with one hand playing a game of dropping her and then actually did.  He is going to continue like this UNLESS the parents or his wife just confronts him with "WE KNOW WHAT YOU DID STOP LYING" ....but that will mean they will have to drop that lawsuit.

Of course the parents could be doing this and convinced themselves he is innocent NO MATTER WHAT they see on video or hear from court testimony of witness's.

Winning the lawsuit would mean they could all tell themselves it's the cruise lines fault and not Anello's or their's for leaving her in his care.  Perhaps by not facing the truth they are coping better with her tragic death?  

I know my MIL was like this...a confessed killer in the family and she still right up until her death kept saying one of the young children probably did it or it was a mercy killing as the wife had breast cancer and he was just putting her out of her misery!  And she had appeal court papers stuffed under her bed that talked about the case!  

I'll never understand that....just cause the person is related to you doesn't mean you deny TRUTH.  INSANE....

I just hope soon they ALL do a 180 on this...Anello needs to come clean and admit he put her outside the OPEN window (he knew it was open) and lost his hold on her.  No sign posted on the railing would have stopped a person like this from hoisting a child up there.  For some reason he isn't the kind of man that uses good judgement...and shouldn't have ever been baby sitting any child...ever.

Respected Contributor

So perhaps the video doesn't quite show what happened. Regardless, the fact is that this little girl, in HIS care, died because of something HE did. 

I've always been extra-careful when watching my grandnieces, even more so than either of their parents. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

The Wiegands have responded to the Royal Caribbean Motion to Dismiss:

The cruise line said Anello's alleged actions were "reckless and irresponsible.” He was charged last year in Puerto Rico with negligent homicide in the 18-month-old girl's death.

But the Wiegand family says Royal Caribbean lied in its filing and that their attorney’s examination of the area shows it was impossible for Anello, of Valparaiso, Indiana, to have leaned over a wooden railing and through the angled window on the Freedom of the Seas cruise ship.

“Royal Caribbean has demonstrably lied to this court and, in so doing, Royal Caribbean has created a false narrative to accompany Royal Caribbean’s carefully selected CCTV video upon which Royal Caribbean bases its motion to dismiss,” the family’s filing states.

The distance between the window frame and the railing was about 18 inches so to even touch the window with the top of his head, the attorney “had to lift his feet at least seven inches off the ground,” the family says.

The attorney “could not lean ‘out of the window frame’ due to the distance between the railing and the window frame. In fact, it would have been physically impossible for Mr. Anello to have had his head out of the window frame with his feet on the deck,” it states.

Respected Contributor

@Johnnyeager wrote:

The Wiegands have responded to the Royal Caribbean Motion to Dismiss:

The cruise line said Anello's alleged actions were "reckless and irresponsible.” He was charged last year in Puerto Rico with negligent homicide in the 18-month-old girl's death.

But the Wiegand family says Royal Caribbean lied in its filing and that their attorney’s examination of the area shows it was impossible for Anello, of Valparaiso, Indiana, to have leaned over a wooden railing and through the angled window on the Freedom of the Seas cruise ship.

“Royal Caribbean has demonstrably lied to this court and, in so doing, Royal Caribbean has created a false narrative to accompany Royal Caribbean’s carefully selected CCTV video upon which Royal Caribbean bases its motion to dismiss,” the family’s filing states.

The distance between the window frame and the railing was about 18 inches so to even touch the window with the top of his head, the attorney “had to lift his feet at least seven inches off the ground,” the family says.

The attorney “could not lean ‘out of the window frame’ due to the distance between the railing and the window frame. In fact, it would have been physically impossible for Mr. Anello to have had his head out of the window frame with his feet on the deck,” it states.

This theory might fly if it were Grandpa who went flying out the window.  Atty seems to be forgetting he picked the baby up (over 7 inches off the floor) and held her up over the railing with his arms (which I assume are longer than 18 inches).  Atty is doing his job - deny deny deny - raise doubt, etc....I guess they will be counting on the sympathy vote when this gets to trial.

Flowers are nature's way of laughing
Honored Contributor

At least half the man's waist/torso is hidden from the frame in the grainy video.  He is a large man.  

I have a feeling that RC hasn't released other videos to the public as it would show the child being dropped.

It makes me want to throw up to think of her screaming on the way down.

I feel just as bad for others who witnessed this tragedy as I do the parents.  These poor souls were there and saw her last few minutes alive and possible dead.  What a horrific scene and Lord help those who had to retrieve her body.