Honored Contributor

Re: Royal Carribean has a video of grandfather leaning out the window.

You can clearly see in all the pics of those windows throughout all these threads that there is no other window.

You have one set of windows, not two.  So even if he tried to say he leaned out and didn't realize another window was opened - that is nonsense.

There is only one set of windows.

I've been on RC and I know exactly how those windows are set up.

If he could bend at the waist, and he is much taller than I, then he had a clear view of the area.

100% responsible.   Yet I don't want jail for Anello.  The plea deal is satisfactory because the parents are not asking for severe punishment as would happen if Anello was not a family member.

The PR prosecution is being very generous and I believe drew up the plea with compassion for Anello.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Esteemed Contributor

I would agree that if Mr. Anello accepted the plea deal, and his responsibility, jail time would be excessive and unnecessary in this case.  It does seem, however, in the civil case that the parents and their attorney are digging in their heels.

Wiegand Attorney Statement: The Wiegands are in the process of responding to Royal Caribbean’s Motion to Dismiss.  In short, Royal Caribbean’s Motion to Dismiss is baseless and deceptive.  It is clear that Royal Caribbean’s tactic is to blame Chloe’s grandfather rather than to accept that Royal Caribbean did not implement industry standards for toddler safety aboard its ships which ultimately led to Chloe’s tragic death.  Royal Caribbean has premised its defense in this case and its blame on Chloe’s grandfather by supplying two deceptive views from its CCTV cameras to the court and the Puerto Rico authorities.  However, the Plaintiffs were first permitted a vessel inspection of the scene of the incident on January 10 – less than a week after Royal Caribbean first informed the Wiegands that they are making modifications to the ship that will destroy the subject area where the incident occurred.  That inspection has revealed that Royal Caribbean’s Motion to Dismiss neglects to tell the Court and, presumably, the authorities that there were no less than THIRTEEN CCTV video cameras in the area of the incident.  The Wiegands will ask the Court to compel Royal Caribbean to produce all the video from those nearby cameras.

Further, the Wiegands’ response to Royal Caribbean’s Motion to Dismiss will definitively show what the Wiegands have said since day one: that Chloe’s grandfather never knew there was an open window and never knowingly put Chloe in harms way.  Had Royal Caribbean simply abided by industry standards designed to protect toddlers, this tragedy would not have occurred.

Trusted Contributor

@Johnnyeager wrote:

Sal Anello, circled, leaning out of the open window.   Anello then lifts Chloe up.

In the final picutre she is being held outside of the open window.

Video stills provided in the court case Wiegand et al v. Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. provided by Royal Caribbean show the moments before 18-month old Chloe Wiegand's death.Video stills provided in the court case Wiegand et al v. Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. provided by Royal Caribbean show the moments before 18-month old Chloe Wiegand's death.Video stills provided in the court case Wiegand et al v. Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. provided by Royal Caribbean show the moments before 18-month old Chloe Wiegand's death.

The attorney for the Wiegand family in their motion to strike says that the camera angle is deceptive.

I think I see what he's saying.

In the lower right corner is what I think is the wooden railing.

In front of the wooden railing are a series of white poles from floor to ceiling.  Mr. Anello is partially obscured by the  white poles and the baby is totally obscured.  This is not the window frame.

On what appears to be the top of the wooden railing, a series of smaller bars that are brackets extending to the window.  This is the gap between the railing and the window.

If this the correct interpretation, the first photo shows Anello leaning on the railing.  The last photo would show him standing or sitting the baby on the railing.

Anello continues to maintain that he did not know the window was open, and did not hold the baby outside the window. 

Honored Contributor

@KingstonsMom wrote:

@Lipstickdiva 

In the current video recently released as evidence by the prosecution, you can clearly see him pick her and hold her outside of the window.

They also produced nearby witnesses statements that said as he held her outside of the window, he was 'pretending' to drop her.

Then he did, I don't think he intended to, but he did.

@KingstonsMom, oh geez.  I was hoping he wasn't that stupid.

I stil don't know what to think about all of this but it pays to always tell the truth from the beginning. 

Honored Contributor

@GrailSeeker, I've been on an RCL cruise and I know how that is set up.  You are correct that is the railing and white poles, not the window frame.  Whether he held her over the railing and out of the window or not, he still had to have known that window was open from where he was standing.  It's ridiculous for him to say otherwise.  

Honored Contributor

@GrailSeeker wrote:

@Johnnyeager wrote:

Sal Anello, circled, leaning out of the open window.   Anello then lifts Chloe up.

In the final picutre she is being held outside of the open window.

Video stills provided in the court case Wiegand et al v. Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. provided by Royal Caribbean show the moments before 18-month old Chloe Wiegand's death.Video stills provided in the court case Wiegand et al v. Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. provided by Royal Caribbean show the moments before 18-month old Chloe Wiegand's death.Video stills provided in the court case Wiegand et al v. Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. provided by Royal Caribbean show the moments before 18-month old Chloe Wiegand's death.

The attorney for the Wiegand family in their motion to strike says that the camera angle is deceptive.

I think I see what he's saying.

In the lower right corner is what I think is the wooden railing.

In front of the wooden railing are a series of white poles from floor to ceiling.  Mr. Anello is partially obscured by the  white poles and the baby is totally obscured.  This is not the window frame.

On what appears to be the top of the wooden railing, a series of smaller bars that are brackets extending to the window.  This is the gap between the railing and the window.

If this the correct interpretation, the first photo shows Anello leaning on the railing.  The last photo would show him standing or sitting the baby on the railing.

Anello continues to maintain that he did not know the window was open, and did not hold the baby outside the window. 

@GrailSeeker 

Unfortunately, witnesses statements who were nearby, state that he was holding her out of the window and 'pretending' to drop her before he ultimately did.

Those statements and the video, were presented in court during the Prosecution's 'discovery' part of the upcoming trial.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

@KingstonsMom wrote:

The cruise line filed a motion to dismiss the civil lawsuit against them, saying that it's obvious from the video and witness statements, that he DID know the window was open because he leaned out of the window for several seconds, bending at his waist, before he lifted her up and dangled her our of the window.

Witnesses say that he held her outside of the window and 'pretended' he was dropping her, for about 30 seconds, before he ultimately did drop her.

The judge will make a decision on dismissing the civil suit at the next hearing in March. 

@KingstonsMom   How insane is that!  He is totally to blame.  Hopefully, she passed before hitting the water, how horrific!

Respected Contributor

@GrailSeeker  I see what you are saying, and in the third photo above it looks like he is standing nearly upright.  But in the actual video you see that he bends over farther.  It also appears he's holding her with one hand at some point!

I read that the railing is 18" from the window.  I don't know how tall he is, of course, but with outstretched arms he would be past 18" even if he were perfectly upright you would think.  I know I would be.

Honored Contributor

@mousiegirl wrote:

@KingstonsMom wrote:

The cruise line filed a motion to dismiss the civil lawsuit against them, saying that it's obvious from the video and witness statements, that he DID know the window was open because he leaned out of the window for several seconds, bending at his waist, before he lifted her up and dangled her our of the window.

Witnesses say that he held her outside of the window and 'pretended' he was dropping her, for about 30 seconds, before he ultimately did drop her.

The judge will make a decision on dismissing the civil suit at the next hearing in March. 

@KingstonsMom   How insane is that!  He is totally to blame.  Hopefully, she passed before hitting the water, how horrific!

@mousiegirl 

What's even more horrific, she didn't hit the water, the ship was still at the dock in PR, she hit the concrete dock.

At least it was instantaneous, she didn't suffer, but that's little consolation since she's gone.

But witnesses did say that she screamed all the way down, poor baby.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Esteemed Contributor

Oh geesh, I didn't hear that about the screaming.

And the parents and Anello still want to go through 2 trials and hear all of these horrific details........