Re: Royal Caribbean Wrongful Death Suit Filing

@reiki604 wrote:

@bathina wrote:

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@bathina wrote:

Di

@Carmie wrote:

@bathina wrote:

I think it's justified. That window should not have been open. Anybody could have sat on that railing for a picture of even bigger kids playing around and fallen out that window. It was dangerous. And the grandfather wasn't thinking about safety.

To sit in that railing, you would need a chair or a stool to stand on first or be lifted up there by someone. it's not a window with a railing that you could just lean back and sit on.  Anyone can sit or climb over the ship's railing or the many decks.  Maybe the ships should have plexiglass walls so no one sits or climbs up on the rails.

Did you see the picture? The hand rail was right underneath the open window. It was hand height. Anyone could lean, attempt to sit or walk on it. Kids could be playing around and accidentally push someone through it.

@bathina  Many parts of a cruise ship are open to the sea. Some totally open on some decks. The way you’re talking you want the whole ship enclosed with no open windows. Cruise ships don’t work that way. 

Maybe we should do away with windows everywhere. What about a home with more than one story? Should we do away with those windows?

I’m not sure everyone really knows what a cruise ship is.

The Grandfather made a huge mistake. Put the blame where it belongs.

Please take a look. Any kid could sit on that handrail and fall out the window. Kids who are playing around could push someone through that window. Both the rail and the window should not be at a level where it's easy to climb. I am not excusing the grandfather, but the cruise line bears some responsibility for this dangerous configuration.

FB_IMG_1576090959459.jpg

Please look at the hand rail in relation to the table and chairs. One would have to get up on the chair or table in order to sit on the rail which is not a seat. Windows are tinted and very noticable if not opened. The child needed to be lifted up onto the rail to sit and bang on the tinted window that was not there. Granpa had no reason to sit child on rail and no child should be allowed to bang on glass.

The railings are low enough for anybody, especially a kid, to play on. Anyone taller than 4 feet could easily sit their butt on that rail.

Again, the grandfather was negligent,but I think the cruise line is too. Unfortunately, it took a baby's death to highlight this configuration is dangerous.

Respected Contributor

This case breaks my heart, but adults need to take personal responsibility for the safety of children in their care. It would have been different, if the window had been closed, but suddenly swung open when pushed against it.  By all accounts it was clearly open.  

It was a moment of distraction, or inattention by the grandfather. I think we've all had such moments and thought -- saved by God's grace, or whatever we believe protects us.  It was a tragic accident, but I feel granddad has had punishment enough. It was clear he doted on this child and his pain must be unimaginable.  

I, personally, would have never blamed the cruise line, or filed a lawsuit.  Trying to blame others is counterproductive and will only fuel unending,  complicated grief.  

Honored Contributor

@bathina wrote:

@reiki604 wrote:

@bathina wrote:

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@bathina wrote:

Di

@Carmie wrote:

@bathina wrote:

I think it's justified. That window should not have been open. Anybody could have sat on that railing for a picture of even bigger kids playing around and fallen out that window. It was dangerous. And the grandfather wasn't thinking about safety.

To sit in that railing, you would need a chair or a stool to stand on first or be lifted up there by someone. it's not a window with a railing that you could just lean back and sit on.  Anyone can sit or climb over the ship's railing or the many decks.  Maybe the ships should have plexiglass walls so no one sits or climbs up on the rails.

Did you see the picture? The hand rail was right underneath the open window. It was hand height. Anyone could lean, attempt to sit or walk on it. Kids could be playing around and accidentally push someone through it.

@bathina  Many parts of a cruise ship are open to the sea. Some totally open on some decks. The way you’re talking you want the whole ship enclosed with no open windows. Cruise ships don’t work that way. 

Maybe we should do away with windows everywhere. What about a home with more than one story? Should we do away with those windows?

Please take a look. Any kid could sit on that handrail and fall out the window. Kids who are playing around could push someone through that window. Both the rail and the window should not be at a level where it's easy to climb. I am not excusing the grandfather, but the cruise line bears some responsibility for this dangerous configuration.

FB_IMG_1576090959459.jpg

Please look at the hand rail in relation to the table and chairs. One would have to get up on the chair or table in order to sit on the rail which is not a seat. Windows are tinted and very noticable if not opened. The child needed to be lifted up onto the rail to sit and bang on the tinted window that was not there. Granpa had no reason to sit child on rail and no child should be allowed to bang on glass.

The railings are low enough for anybody, especially a kid, to play on. Anyone taller than 4 feet could easily sit their butt on that rail.

Again, the grandfather was negligent,but I think the cruise line is too. Unfortunately, it took a baby's death to highlight this configuration is dangerous.

I disagree.

The tabletops pictured could easily be hopped up on.  They average about 30 inches.  You can see the railings are much higher than the table tops, maybe by a foot or more.  Not easy for anyone to jump up on just to perch.  Just looking at the railing, doesn't seem enticing to sit up on.  Very uncomfortable looking.

Honored Contributor

I would never sit or allow a child to stand on the rail near those windows...just the way they lean...is a risky move. Sadly...I think the family is wrong filing this suit. It doesn't mean one is not sorry for what they are going through...just find the grandfather is at fault here.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

**Careful... I have caps lock and I am not afraid to use it.**
Respected Contributor

@Lucky Charm wrote:

@bathina wrote:

@reiki604 wrote:

@bathina wrote:

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@bathina wrote:

Di

@Carmie wrote:

@bathina wrote:

FB_IMG_1576090959459.jpg

I disagree.

The tabletops pictured could easily be hopped up on.  They average about 30 inches.  You can see the railings are much higher than the table tops, maybe by a foot or more.  Not easy for anyone to jump up on just to perch.  Just looking at the railing, doesn't seem enticing to sit up on.  Very uncomfortable looking.

There is also a small platform underneath these windows. A 4 1/2 foot tall person could stand on that ledge and easily hop up and put their butt on the rail. Unless you're saying that railing is 6 ft...

Regardless, we'll see when the case is brought to court.

Honored Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@bathina wrote:

Di

@Carmie wrote:

@bathina wrote:

@proudlyfromNJ 

ITA the grandfather is the one to blame....its just another case of folks not willing to accept responsibility or put the blame where it belongs....it was the grandfather's fault, and the parents left the child with him....Its not the cruise lines fault that people dont use common sense in caring for children!

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Respected Contributor

I think it's disgusting for them to sue.  Yeah, right, it's to draw attention to window fall safety.....only if any money they receive goes to a fund to help people who fall out of windows in the future.  

As another poster said, if they feel the need to line their pockets they should sue the person who was careless with their child and dropped her.  

The sad thing is, the cruise line will end up paying them something.  

Respected Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

@bathina wrote:

In one of the other threads I did suggest the ship could be contained in a large "bubble" of plexi glass so nobody would fall over....I have heard of adults going over board too.  I am joking of course!

Honored Contributor

@bathina wrote:

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@bathina wrote:

Di

@Carmie wrote:

@bathina wrote:

FB_IMG_1576090959459.jpg

oh wow @bathina  is that a photo of the actual deck? i see the railing, so the window that looks like it is right at the railing is the one that was open? definitely dangerous looking!

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

This is another picture which shows the color difference.

Lots of different factors. 

510922C0-286E-45C6-9943-D97C15A19CEB.jpeg