Esteemed Contributor

Re: Royal Caribbean Wrongful Death Suit Filing

Yes, the parents and their attorney are trying desperately to make this seem as if it's an incident in a long line of similar incidents.....when in fact their experience is unique due to the negligence of Sal Anello.

Honored Contributor

@tsavorite wrote:

@Carmie wrote:

@bathina wrote:

I think it's justified. That window should not have been open. Anybody could have sat on that railing for a picture of even bigger kids playing around and fallen out that window. It was dangerous. And the grandfather wasn't thinking about safety.

To sit in that railing, you would need a chair or a stool to stand on first or be lifted up there by someone. it's not a window with a railing that you could just lean back and sit on.  Anyone can sit or climb over the ship's railing or the many decks.  Maybe the ships should have plexiglass walls so no one sits or climbs up on the rails.

In one of the other threads I did suggest the ship could be contained in a large "bubble" of plexi glass so nobody would fall over....I have heard of adults going over board too.  I am joking of course!

@tsavorite, fairly recently an adult fell to his death inside a Carnival Cruise ship.  His cabin had a balcony that overlooked the inside of the ship and he fell.  I'm sure alcohol was involved.  

I've been on cruises.  You have to really work to fall overboard.

I will also guarantee that the railing in question here is taller than it appears in the picture. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

This might be a better photo for the sake of knowing how high the railing is.  Look at the people sitting at the table and the railing is above their heads. Look at the woman standing there and where the railing is on her.    

img-1948.jpg.92123523ed0c0625d78d36e01a6a7403.jpg

Esteemed Contributor

Thanks for posting that picture.  I think that some still think she fell through the lowest window.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Lucky Charm wrote:

She had a window at eye level while standing on the ground. 

No need to be picked up and stood on the rail.  The responsibility is his.

Exactly.  If he wanted her to be able to tap on glass, why pick her up when there was an unopened window right at her level? 

I believe it was yesterday morning that I saw the story about the lawsuit on GMA.  One of the reporters watched the video with someone there with him.  I think it was an attorney (maybe from RCL) but I can't verify that.  Anyhow, they didn't show the video but they showed the 2 of them watching it and they were talking about what was happening on the video. The reporter said grandpa stuck his head out the window, looked down to the dock below, lifted Chloe up and set her on the railing, then Chloe was gone.  

If that is the video, I'm not sure how anyone can think this is RCCL's fault.    

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@sunshine45 wrote:

@bathina wrote:

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@bathina wrote:

Di

@Carmie wrote:

@bathina wrote:

I think it's justified. That window should not have been open. Anybody could have sat on that railing for a picture of even bigger kids playing around and fallen out that window. It was dangerous. And the grandfather wasn't thinking about safety.

To sit in that railing, you would need a chair or a stool to stand on first or be lifted up there by someone. it's not a window with a railing that you could just lean back and sit on.  Anyone can sit or climb over the ship's railing or the many decks.  Maybe the ships should have plexiglass walls so no one sits or climbs up on the rails.

Did you see the picture? The hand rail was right underneath the open window. It was hand height. Anyone could lean, attempt to sit or walk on it. Kids could be playing around and accidentally push someone through it.

@bathina  Many parts of a cruise ship are open to the sea. Some totally open on some decks. The way you’re talking you want the whole ship enclosed with no open windows. Cruise ships don’t work that way. 

Maybe we should do away with windows everywhere. What about a home with more than one story? Should we do away with those windows?

I’m not sure everyone really knows what a cruise ship is.

The Grandfather made a huge mistake. Put the blame where it belongs.

Please take a look. Any kid could sit on that handrail and fall out the window. Kids who are playing around could push someone through that window. Both the rail and the window should not be at a level where it's easy to climb. I am not excusing the grandfather, but the cruise line bears some responsibility for this dangerous configuration.

FB_IMG_1576090959459.jpg

oh wow @bathina  is that a photo of the actual deck? i see the railing, so the window that looks like it is right at the railing is the one that was open? definitely dangerous looking!

@sunshine45   I believe it was the window above the railing where the child was set upon, the windows below were closed.

Honored Contributor

@bathina wrote:
Ugh. I never said it was easy to fall overboard. And ive ignored the suggestions that a ship should be bubble wrapped. Ive even said the grandfather was negligent. I dont have to be a "cruiser" to take a look at that bank of windows with a railing and ledge to see it is a hazard. We'll see what the jury thinks when this goes to court.

@bathina 

Even though we are opposite on this topic, I enjoy reading

your posts on this matter.  You bring up good points.  

It -will- be interesting to see what a jury thinks. 

💛🌼

Esteemed Contributor

There will be two trials:

The family has requested a jury trial in the civil case.

Sal Anello can ask for either a jury trial or a bench trial in his criminal case.  I believe this will be determined in court in Puerto Rico on the 17th.  I would imagine he'd choose to take his chances with a jury.

Respected Contributor

This was a very sad accident.  The truth is that grandpa is to blame and has to live with this the rest of his life.  The parents are unable to accept the facts which is also very sad.  Money will not heal them.

Respected Contributor

@sidsmom thank you for your kind words. We can always agree to disagree and if we knew each other in RL, we could place wagers on the outcome! Thank you again!