Honored Contributor

Re: Roundup does cause cancer jury decides

@esmerelda wrote:

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

@esmerelda wrote:

I use Round Up and have for a long time.  For big jobs I mix my own from concentrate and use it in a backpack sprayer.  That's rare lately.

For the small jobs I use the spray everyone else does.

Of course I read the label and take the proper precautions and so far so good.

What I have never done is pay someone to put harmful chemicals on my yard...or done it myself because...I care how it looks.

I know several people who care "how it looks" who don't put other people's health at risk by using toxic chemicals.  

Not "everyone" uses this stuff.  A lot still do, yes, but more and more people don't.

@QueenDanceALotYour last comment...noted and revised.

Earlier comment...and you've seen comments here from people who DO have toxic chemicals used by people who are hired to do it.  See comments referring to blue dye (so people know where it is) and warning signs.  

And now I need to go out and cut down some tall weeds so I can roundup the last bit of them that remains above ground.

@esmerelda

Thanks for reiterating that you just don't care that you're contributing to toxic chemical contamination.

I don't care if it's YOU using it or hired people.  Makes no difference.

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

Dad farmed with large quantities of it died at 94 and never had cancer.  You never know what will kill you.

@Sooner

It wasn't even available until 1974 and widespread use not until the early 80's.

So I am guessing that he wasn't even exposed to it until later in life.

Unlike people born after 1974 (or thereabouts).

And then there's the anecdote thing, but whatever.

Honored Contributor

I certainly did not have to wait for a jury decision on this.....like DUHHHHH🤔

Honored Contributor

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

Dad farmed with large quantities of it died at 94 and never had cancer.  You never know what will kill you.

@Sooner

It wasn't even available until 1974 and widespread use not until the early 80's.

@QueenDanceALot, yes, and besides, I don't think that anyone is saying that use of this chemical is an automatic death sentence, just as smoking is not an automatic death sentence. Some don't mind playing  a game of selfish Russian roulette. And of course, there are other issues with such chemicals that involve dangerous health effects that may diminish life rather than outright snuff it out.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

My mother and 4 of her sisters lived surrounded my farmland that used heavy pesticides in "the good old days". They all died of cancer. My mom at age 56.

My anecdotal evidence weighs just as heavily as your does.

Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

@Sooner

@QueenDanceALot, yes, and besides, I don't think that anyone is saying that use of this chemical is an automatic death sentence, just as smoking is not an automatic death sentence. Some don't mind playing  a game of selfish Russian roulette. And of course, there are other issues with such chemicals that involve dangerous health effects that may diminish life rather than outright snuff it out.

@suzyQ3

And, as a nod to a dubious argument for "freedom" I will say that I don't care if someone wants to spray it on themsevles, or put it on their cheeseburger

But, as it affects others, animals, and the environment, I won't stick up for their right to use a legal product

Honored Contributor

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

@Sooner

OK.  He only used it 30 years.  Also in the 60's and after it was Treflan, which I used to go buy the concentate by the pickup loads after I turned 16.  He stood in the fields while wheat was sprayed by planes with chemicals, and it is entirely possible that he was one of the farmers who tested Roundup.  He was well known in the farming community where we lived, and often his soybeans and wheat were used as the seed material by the local mills. 

We won't venture into the world of pesticides either. 

So I will say he was around chemicals as much as anyone for at least 45 years.  

Just saying that there is a lot to be afraid of, a lot of hazads, and in the end analysis you never know what will kill you.  

Honored Contributor

@Sooner

So, since your father didn't get cancer from it, it's O.K. to use, even though it IS a known toxin that causes cancer?

It's O.K. to use because we have to die from something?  And we just don't know what that might be?

SMH.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

May God bless Mr. Johnson and his family. May others win sizeable lawsuits that force Monsanto to STOP polluting our foods and our people.

Hearing the verdict

johnson 3.jpg

Lesions on Mr. Johnson's hands and back. He said he used 20-30 gallons of Roundup a year and was sometimes "doused" in it. Correction- 30-40 times a year he used HUNDREDS of gallons as part of his job as a school groundskeeper.

johnson 2.jpgjohnson.jpg

Frequent Contributor

@esmerelda wrote:

@151949 wrote:

Roundup is the same chemically as agent orange they used in Viet Nam. Look at what our poor vets are going thru from that. 

Our landscape guys use something to kill the weeds - when I go out to pull the dead stalks out I always wear rubber gloves - who knows what chemicals they used. After they spray they always put signs up saying to stay off the grass because of the chemicals but my idiot neighbors walk their poor dogs there anyway, and tromp thru the treated areas wearing only flip flops. Serves them right if they get cancer, but I feel for the dogs.

@151949I would like to know your source for that statement.  I don't think you have one.  Not a reliable one, anyway...not a scientific one.  Please get back to me.  We can compare notes.

@esmerelda:    1519491 is on the right track. Roundup is made by Monsanto the same company that made Agent Orange. I HATE Monsanto. Next month will be the one year anniversay of my husband's death. He was a 100% disabled Vietnam veteran. He died from cancer due to agent orange. The VA has criteria they use to make sure that a cancer is indeed from the effects of agent orange. My husband unfortunately passed all the tests the VA gives. He had no choice going to Vietnam; he was drafted and now he is dead.

I am not sure if Roundup and agent orange have all the same chemicals but Monsanto makes products that kill. I am so sick of all the people who have to have the perfect yards. HOAs that give out "yard of the month" to those with the picture perfect yard.

Remember when you put that poison on your yard it goes down into the ground; the worms get it, then the birds eat the worms and on and on.

And we wonder why species are disappearing and so many people are getting cancer.

esme you need to do some googling; read up on it. It should make you sick.