Honored Contributor

Re: Roundup does cause cancer jury decides

GOOGLE IT - glyphosphate is the main active ingredient in both.

Esteemed Contributor

@esmerelda wrote:

@shoekitty wrote:

Round up by monsanto is so heavily protected I am surprised they lost.  Serious.  Evil, devious company....don't get me started.  I worry about anyone using it, it effects the water, birds, everything it touches.  If people dont care, the dont care.  What can you do?. I can however forbid it on my yard, and if my neighbor used it where I could breathe it, or it effected the birds in my yard, They would hear from me,  i would buy them a lifetime supply of another product. Lol,  Luckily, I am in California and most people don't use it where I live anymore.  

@shoekittyIt was a jury trial in California.  I would expect nothing less.  And the award...apparently life has a higher value there than in most other places.

@esmerelda  OT sorry, but my siggie has gone missing also.  I asked Customer Care but haven't heard back yet.  I want it back!!  LOL

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Honored Contributor

@Lucky Charm wrote:
Just came in because of thunder, but I've been pulling weeds since about 10 a.m.

This is the first home in a decade that i have a grassy lawn (love it!), my other homes have sand only. All are close to the ocean and bays. Couldn't use roundup in good conscience.

Also, the fact I only buy organic and if that's not an option, which is rare, non GMO. It would be ignorant of me to use something like roundup.

Not hard to oull weeds. At home, my 87 year old neighbor still does all her own yardwork. She has health issues (lupus and heart problems), but takes her time. I always offer to help and when i go over to talk, just start pulling weeds at the same time.

Nothing worse than seeing an able bodied man or woman standing there pulling the trigger with weedkiller. And i know it's not good to *assume* just because someone looks able bodied that they are, but I'll take that chance...

@Lucky Charm

Yes, I have had 2 neighbors (on either side of me) pretty much laugh at me pulling weeds while they tell me how easy it is to get rid of weeds while they spray everywhere. 

But, more and more, I see others spending the time to garden without these awful chemicals that endanger us all, and our pets and wildlife.

I look forward to a ban on these chemicals.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@shoekitty wrote:

@GingerPeach

Yes, easiest always wins out sometimes.  I am having back yard remodel.  Everything but 3 trees were saved.  A fish pond is going in as well. I do organic gardening and I dont use a weed killer.  I have a gardener.  We do use a weed preventative which helps, and we just dont get many weeds.  I pull them here and there.  My gardener does use a safe weed kill in spring.  Works. 

There was a family not to far from here whose neighbor sprayed round up shortly before the wind picked up, when the wind came it floated to koi pond next door , settled on the pond water and lillies, and killed 7000 bucks worth of koi. It took only two days for them to die, that quick.  He was guilt ridden.  This guy paid for new koi. And he attended the funeral for the old, old koi from Japan that was the kids favorite. this story, although tragic, had a happy ending ( not for yoshi, and friends), but taught many people including me about the side effects of this weed killer. 

@shoekittyThe seems highly unlikely.  The round up was sprayed "shortly before the wind picked up."  It was sprayed on and settled on surfaces before the wind came.  I don't know how a liquid floats up off of a surface and over a distance.

Think about it.

Keepin' it real.
Honored Contributor

Dad farmed with large quantities of it died at 94 and never had cancer.  You never know what will kill you.

Esteemed Contributor

@151949 wrote:

GOOGLE IT - glyphosphate is the main active ingredient in both.

@151949  Sharing a main active ingredient does not make things "the same chemically."

Words mean things.

Keepin' it real.
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

So...the poor man in this legal case has non-Hodgkin lymphoma. 

I wonder at the thoughts today of others with the same disease who have never come in contact with roundup.

Keepin' it real.
Honored Contributor

@esmerelda wrote:

I use Round Up and have for a long time.  For big jobs I mix my own from concentrate and use it in a backpack sprayer.  That's rare lately.

For the small jobs I use the spray everyone else does.

Of course I read the label and take the proper precautions and so far so good.

What I have never done is pay someone to put harmful chemicals on my yard...or done it myself because...I care how it looks.

I know several people who care "how it looks" who don't put other people's health at risk by using toxic chemicals.  

Not "everyone" uses this stuff.  A lot still do, yes, but more and more people don't.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

@esmerelda wrote:

I use Round Up and have for a long time.  For big jobs I mix my own from concentrate and use it in a backpack sprayer.  That's rare lately.

For the small jobs I use the spray everyone else does.

Of course I read the label and take the proper precautions and so far so good.

What I have never done is pay someone to put harmful chemicals on my yard...or done it myself because...I care how it looks.

I know several people who care "how it looks" who don't put other people's health at risk by using toxic chemicals.  

Not "everyone" uses this stuff.  A lot still do, yes, but more and more people don't.

@QueenDanceALotYour last comment...noted and revised.

Earlier comment...and you've seen comments here from people who DO have toxic chemicals used by people who are hired to do it.  See comments referring to blue dye (so people know where it is) and warning signs.  

And now I need to go out and cut down some tall weeds so I can roundup the last bit of them that remains above ground.

Keepin' it real.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

For those who think it's just fine and dandy to use because you're covered up and using on a non windy day, the chemicals get into the ground water and our water supply.

It's not just about protected yourself from contact with the spray.

Amen, @QueenDanceALot.    These chemicals are dangerous, they are subject to herbicide drift (particle or vapor), and they permeate the soil and water supplies.   Even the smallest amount can be harmful.    For years it has bothered me to see the emphasis on what we're supposed to believe are "beautiful" landscapes at the cost of poisoning the environment and harming life -- all life.    Jmo, but I think society was sold a bill of goods about how landscapes "should" look, and now we have tainted the soil and water and all living creatures who come in contact with it.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova