Honored Contributor

Re: Roundup does cause cancer jury decides

I want to say right off the top' I don't think it serves anyone right if they get cancer. It is an evil, dreadful disease, and I wouldn't wish it on a living soul

I am against Roundup, but , I don't think anyone deserves cancer

Respected Contributor

@Sweetbay magnolia wrote:

Years in the hort industry, here.  No more.  Never again.

There are many on the job hazards.  Chemical poisoning, just one.

Is that perfect patch of green turf worth it?  Just think of the effects on wildlife.

Funny you mention that - our community offers option to pay extra to use the HOA landscapers to cut our grass, weed wack and pull weeds but most other stuff is done once a year (fertilize, aerate, etc). 

Many neighbors also supplement that by hiring TruGreen also who comes to do things once a month.  They have gorgeous lawns.  This year I began noticing many of the TruGreen guys now wear masks or respirators when they spray.  I have pest control twice a year and noticed last year that they too began wearing masks or respirators (not that I think that helps much cuz I'm thinking it gets on their clothes, etc.) but I've long ago wondered if they think about the hazards of their jobs.  

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

For those who think it's just fine and dandy to use because you're covered up and using on a non windy day, the chemicals get into the ground water and our water supply.

It's not just about protecting yourself from contact with the spray.

Honored Contributor

Just came in because of thunder, but I've been pulling weeds since about 10 a.m.

This is the first home in a decade that i have a grassy lawn (love it!), my other homes have sand only. All are close to the ocean and bays. Couldn't use roundup in good conscience.

Also, the fact I only buy organic and if that's not an option, which is rare, non GMO. It would be ignorant of me to use something like roundup.

Not hard to oull weeds. At home, my 87 year old neighbor still does all her own yardwork. She has health issues (lupus and heart problems), but takes her time. I always offer to help and when i go over to talk, just start pulling weeds at the same time.

Nothing worse than seeing an able bodied man or woman standing there pulling the trigger with weedkiller. And i know it's not good to *assume* just because someone looks able bodied that they are, but I'll take that chance...
Honored Contributor

I can't think that any chemicals are good for anyone, but once a year, we have to use Roundup or our property and home would be eaten with runners from the neighbor's trees which were planted to hold their hill.  If they are cut down, which we did earlier on, they spread more, and they can grow into trees rapidly, they come up all over our property, the young, we pull, but at the tp of the property it can become a forest if not killed, and we havn't found anything else that does the job, same with bamboo and poppies.

California is very health conscious, and it isn't banned here, but maybe that day is coming.

Honored Contributor

I read somewhere that Lowe's was going to discontinue carrying it, but still see it on the shelves. If and when they do, they will be my first choice over HD---for that reason, until HD follows suit.
Esteemed Contributor

@151949 wrote:

Roundup is the same chemically as agent orange they used in Viet Nam. Look at what our poor vets are going thru from that. 

Our landscape guys use something to kill the weeds - when I go out to pull the dead stalks out I always wear rubber gloves - who knows what chemicals they used. After they spray they always put signs up saying to stay off the grass because of the chemicals but my idiot neighbors walk their poor dogs there anyway, and tromp thru the treated areas wearing only flip flops. Serves them right if they get cancer, but I feel for the dogs.

@151949I would like to know your source for that statement.  I don't think you have one.  Not a reliable one, anyway...not a scientific one.  Please get back to me.  We can compare notes.

Keepin' it real.
Esteemed Contributor

@shoekitty wrote:

Round up by monsanto is so heavily protected I am surprised they lost.  Serious.  Evil, devious company....don't get me started.  I worry about anyone using it, it effects the water, birds, everything it touches.  If people dont care, the dont care.  What can you do?. I can however forbid it on my yard, and if my neighbor used it where I could breathe it, or it effected the birds in my yard, They would hear from me,  i would buy them a lifetime supply of another product. Lol,  Luckily, I am in California and most people don't use it where I live anymore.  

@shoekittyIt was a jury trial in California.  I would expect nothing less.  And the award...apparently life has a higher value there than in most other places.

Keepin' it real.
Honored Contributor

@kitcat51I seriously doubt that much Roundup is dangerous to you personally; the victim in the lawsuit had been exposed repeatedly and that repetition might well have been the causative factor.  I haven't read the case details and have little idea of the science although I'm suspicious of anything that works like Roundup.  I certainly hope the jury got it right.  We're more likely to be protected by the legal system than by the current EPA - at least while we still have a functioning legal system.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I use Round Up and have for a long time.  For big jobs I mix my own from concentrate and use it in a backpack sprayer.  That's rare lately.

For the small jobs I use the spray other users do.  My favorite "version" is foam.  Easier to see exactly what you've covered or missed. 

Of course I read the label and take the proper precautions and so far so good.

What I have never done is pay someone to put harmful chemicals on my yard...or done it myself because...I want it to look nice.  *eyeroll*

revised and added to

Keepin' it real.