Honored Contributor

Re: Roundup does cause cancer jury decides

All weed killers don't have this formulation, I suspect

Esteemed Contributor

Roundup has been touted as benign for a long time.  Only affects green tissue that it comes into contact with, it was said.

Use has been pretty indiscriminate, from what I've seen.  I can't specify details but whoa, it is not benign.

Cogito ergo sum
Honored Contributor

It's also used on large industrial scale agricultural applications, not just on smaller residential areas. Banning it would be like pulling teeth.

Honored Contributor

@kitcat51 wrote:

I use Roundup...I spray it once a year, it works great & I'm done. 

@kitcat51.  That's exactly what I do and I wear gloves, long pants and closed shoes.  Wait for a day when there's no wind and do my spraying.  I don't know what I'd do without it.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Thank you for posting this.  Roundup has long been thought cancer-causing and bad for the environment.  Every so often on this board, someone will ask how to get rid of poison ivy and inevitably someone suggests Roundup.  I always offer the safe solution: salt, vinegar, and dish soap in water.  It really works and is less expensive than store-bought chemicals.  Yet people still use Roundup.

Honored Contributor

Agenda Free TV, on YouTube, is doing a LIVE broadcast,

as of this writing.  Steve Lookner will go through all the websites,

Twitter comments...talking about the Monsanto jury decision.

https://youtu.be/v9zne9EpTUo

39ED691F-6598-4F2B-9B56-52CCE2A3E454.jpeg

Honored Contributor

Roundup is the same chemically as agent orange they used in Viet Nam. Look at what our poor vets are going thru from that. 

Our landscape guys use something to kill the weeds - when I go out to pull the dead stalks out I always wear rubber gloves - who knows what chemicals they used. After they spray they always put signs up saying to stay off the grass because of the chemicals but my idiot neighbors walk their poor dogs there anyway, and tromp thru the treated areas wearing only flip flops. Serves them right if they get cancer, but I feel for the dogs.

Respected Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@kitcat51 wrote:

I use Roundup...I spray it once a year, it works great & I'm done. 

@kitcat51.  That's exactly what I do and I wear gloves, long pants and closed shoes.  Wait for a day when there's no wind and do my spraying.  I don't know what I'd do without it.

I do the same & wear eye protection too. I purchased a battery weed sprayer by Ryobi, the 2 gallon 2.0 battery with charger at Home Depot...it eliminates the pumping so the work goes faster & the wand has an adjustable nozzle for wide & narrow spraying so used less Roundup with better coverage...I highly recommend it. I enjoy your posts @Kachina624

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Round up by monsanto is so heavily protected I am surprised they lost.  Serious.  Evil, devious company....don't get me started.  I worry about anyone using it, it effects the water, birds, everything it touches.  If people dont care, the dont care.  What can you do?. I can however forbid it on my yard, and if my neighbor used it where I could breathe it, or it effected the birds in my yard, They would hear from me,  i would buy them a lifetime supply of another product. Lol,  Luckily, I am in California and most people don't use it where I live anymore.  

Honored Contributor

@shoekitty wrote:

Round up by monsanto is so heavily protected I am surprised they lost.  Serious.  Evil, devious company....don't get me started.  I worry about anyone using it, it effects the water, birds, everything it touches.  If people dont care, the dont care.  What can you do?. I can however forbid it on my yard, and if my neighbor used it where I could breathe it, or it effected the birds in my yard, They would hear from me,  i would buy them a lifetime supply of another product. Lol,  Luckily, I am in California and most people don't use it where I live anymore.  

You're lucky they don't use it where you are in California, @shoekitty

I'm in CA also, but my HOA landscape company uses it and it's readily available in local nurseries.  People hate weeds more than they care about their health, it seems.

I've stressed to the landscape company they have to include blue dye (as did the landscape company we had before these guys) so people know where not to walk or walk their dogs, but they are too stupid or careless to add it.  Anything extra eats into profits, you know.  

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.