Contributor

Rosie O'Donnell's daughter found, but what about the dog ?Anyone know ?

Honored Contributor

Re: Rosie O'Donnell's daughter found, but what about the dog ?Anyone know ?

Dog is fine. I read that yesterday in a local paper.

You can take the girl out of Jersey, but you can't take Jersey out of the girl. Jersey Girl living in CNY.
Contributor

Relief, thanks

Trusted Contributor

Didn't Rosie say it was a 6 month old therapy dog?  I thought puppies had to go through a training program to become a therapy dog.

I wonder if they are training the dog to become a therapy dog? Anyone know anything about it?

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Bestdressed wrote:

Didn't Rosie say it was a 6 month old therapy dog?  I thought puppies had to go through a training program to become a therapy dog.

I wonder if they are training the dog to become a therapy dog? Anyone know anything about it?

To be a true THERAPY dog they do, however, alot of mental health pts have "comfort" pets, The animals help keep them calm.  My autistic grandson has a "comfort cat" for a pet. His (the cat) name is Tuesday, because they found him as a stray kitten in some bushes outside the TUESDAY MORNING by their house. , It has been over a yr now, He will not let it out of his sight, really helps him to stay calm, gives him something to focus on.  His Dr has said it was one of the best choices they made for him.

Trusted Contributor

I have read a few recent stories where someone has a "comfort pet."

I guess I have had my own "comfort pets" for many years and did not know they had a specific name!

After a long day at work, I pet my little dog and she gives me great comfort.

Who knew!

Honored Contributor

DH and I have had two certified therapy dogs.  Yes, there is an extensive training program the dogs and handlers must complete.  Following training, the dogs are tested by a certified evaluator and either approved/disapproved for certification based on test results in a number of areas.  From our experience Therapy Dogs International will not certify a dog for therapy until they are at least one year old.  Our dog training club in PA followed similar guidelines.

"Faith, Hope, Love; the greatest of these is Love." ~The Silver Fox~
Trusted Contributor

@AnikaBrodie & @stazgirl ...Thanks for your replies.  I thought therapy dogs had extensive training... and puppies wouldn't qualify.

Rosie's dog probably is a comfort dog, just as stazgirl described I am sure they help out in many situations.

Honored Contributor

I posted that above on this very thread, also.

Respected Contributor

@Bestdressed wrote:

@AnikaBrodie & @stazgirl ...Thanks for your replies.  I thought therapy dogs had extensive training... and puppies wouldn't qualify.

Rosie's dog probably is a comfort dog, just as stazgirl described I am sure they help out in many situations.

I've never heard of the phrase 'comfort dog',  but it certainly does fit.   Therapy is probably a generic name in this case.   Some bipolar people get extremely agitated and can lose control of their emotions.  I imagine a pet could ward that off a lot of time.    It was good she actually took the dog with her.

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*