Esteemed Contributor

Re: Rosie O'Donnell's Daughter Is Missing

There's a difference between letting the police know of any kind of mental illness in the missing person and advertising it. I am sure many of Rosie's friends and inncer circle know of this girl's problems. However, it's an entirely different story to announce it to the world through social media or whatever. That to me invades the girl's privacy and completely disrespects her as a human being. It's HER business and no one else's but perhaps her inner circle or support group. The medication situation could have been mentioned without giving all the particulars. This girl has now been labeled and the public is left to invade even more of her privacy. I'm sorry, but I just don't agree with some of you that this was in the best interests of that girl.

Honored Contributor

I'm so glad she's been found safe.

Of course we all can speculate, but aren't in on the whole true story.

And Rosie's side of the story might not be the truth either.

I feel badly for Chelsea because she has been labeled with a mental illness.  I know I wouldn't have wanted that to be made public. 

(I can only hope that diagnosis was given by a second and third opinion.)

She's a teenager.  She was put up for adoption.  She was adopted by a famous, lesbian, single mother who is now divorced.

That's a lot for a child to take in.

So if Rosie didn't call police until several days after, then she 'knew' that the child was pretty much safe as she had contact with her. 

Of course she should tell the police the daughter is being medicated for whatever illness.  But for her to get it out on Fb that her daughter is missing and mentally ill is wrong.

Why are we shocked that Chelsea, 17, was with a 'man'?  She may've been dating him, or really good friends with him, or very interested in him.

I'm interested to see what comes from all this.  But I'm hoping she is safe (and happy) now.  Just because she's home doesn't mean she is.

Honored Contributor
Valued Contributor

I think the way in which this birth mother slammed into the press with her version of events so many years ago is exceptionally selfish an d self-centered. No matter what was happening to her 17 years ago, it demonstrates little concern for the welfare of that child to whom she gave birth - not even regarding if that birth child had or has emotional and/or mental issues (as she does).

That could not have helped Chelsea in any way even if, on its surface, it seems to be a method of getting in contact with a birth child/birth mother. There are faaaarrrr better ways to have gone about that bit of information and reunion than for the birth mom to have dropped an A-bomb into the press last Spring. Shows NO genuine concern for the child but only for herself.

I can't help but think this birth mother must have been the same way or worse 17 years ago really.

Fortunately the girl is okay. And perhaps the "adults" involved now realize how fragile a person can be. I mean, to be on meds and needing an assistant dog may not have been enough to get that message through to them. Geesh.

Honored Contributor

@RainCityWoman wrote:

There's a difference between letting the police know of any kind of mental illness in the missing person and advertising it. I am sure many of Rosie's friends and inncer circle know of this girl's problems. However, it's an entirely different story to announce it to the world through social media or whatever. That to me invades the girl's privacy and completely disrespects her as a human being. It's HER business and no one else's but perhaps her inner circle or support group. The medication situation could have been mentioned without giving all the particulars. This girl has now been labeled and the public is left to invade even more of her privacy. I'm sorry, but I just don't agree with some of you that this was in the best interests of that girl.

I completely agree. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:

Update:

http://www.people.com/article/rosie-odonnell-very-concerned-daughter-chelsea-odonnell-disturbing-new...

Gosh I feel sorry for famous peoples children. This stuff really isn't the publics business, but I guess once you go public on facebook and in the media about her being missing this is what happens. And then they seem to try and imply that going public made all the difference when in fact her phone was traced by police per the article ( which doesn't require the public to be involved to do). 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Though I cannot ever remember hearing a label, Rosie O'Donnell has discussed the special needs of both Chelsea and Blake.  I've heard her discuss them as well as read about them.  I remember an article where she talked about the special schools they attended.

Even as a young child Rosie and Chelsea had a tough go. Teenagers are not easy.  To the typical stuff, add adopted, add the child of 3 divorces, add to it a birth mother going public, add to it special needs, and the list goes on.

Honored Contributor

I know that at 17 years old, I would NOT want my mother going public saying I was mentally ill.

What was Rosie thinking?

I bet there are a lot of tears because of that being said. 

You know, something like that can make someone go over the edge.

Respected Contributor

While I do think it was probably necessary to tell the police, there will be hell to pay from Chelsea for posting it everywhere.

I'm not sure to what degree she is bipolar, but that doesn't mean mentally retarded and unless she's having an episode she's probably like most kids.  Not sure what the proper phrase is but that's the term we use for my nephew.  He's 22 and for the most part a wonderful gentle young man.  It's horrifying those other times.

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Honored Contributor

@NoelSeven wrote:

@stazgirl wrote:

She is a teen ager, When my neice ran away, they did not look for her for 5 days, Police assume they are a run away at that age, you need to PROVE she is in danger in order for them to look sooner,her in Az anyway,  I would have thought a mental illness would have been enough, but who knows, maybe it depends on the severity,  maybe they start looking sooner and we just are going by what the media says.

I agree.  I also think it's good to let the public and especially the police know if they are looking for or dealing with a mentally ill person.  Why? Because if that person starts acting up, it's good to know they are most likely not being hostile, they are probably terrified and don't understand what's happening.

I would agree.

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"