Honored Contributor

Re: Rosie O'Donnell's Daughter Is Missing

I read she was at her birth mother's house. 

Sounds like it's a complicated story.

Esteemed Contributor

Glad she has been found safe.  

Honored Contributor

There's so much more to this story that is not known.  Rosie says her daughter "has no friends..she is mentally ill."  Yet when asked why she took so long to report her missing she says, "we thought she was with friends."  Such a contradiction.  We don't know if she lives with Rosie, or lives with Rosie's ex-wife, Kelli. 

Glad she was found safe!

Respected Contributor

At 17 she's practically an adult, bipolar or not.  Social services probably will not get involved.  If she was 11 or 12 it would be different.

Anyone who is close to someone with a bipolar child knows it's a challange and it's pretty hard to make them take medication.  

I'm guessing the service dog is to help keep her calm and doesn't really require much training.

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Respected Contributor

@Caaareful Shopper wrote:

There's so much more to this story that is not known.  Rosie says her daughter "has no friends..she is mentally ill."  Yet when asked why she took so long to report her missing she says, "we thought she was with friends."  Such a contradiction.  We don't know if she lives with Rosie, or lives with Rosie's ex-wife, Kelli. 

Glad she was found safe!

She was living with Rosie in suburban NY.  Rosie adopted her as a single parent.

Our local, NYC news, referred to the dog as a therapy dog. Therapy dogs can be used for any number of reasons.

Honored Contributor

@muttmom wrote:

Glad she was found safe!

She was living with Rosie in suburban NY.  Rosie adopted her as a single parent.

Our local, NYC news, referred to the dog as a therapy dog. Therapy dogs can be used for any number of reasons.

I wish the news could get it straight.  The New York Daily News stated, "O’Donnell and her first wife, Kelli Carpenter, adopted Chelsea in 1997, when she was two months old. Chelsea has four siblings."  It also stated the dog is just 6 months old and, "The cop said he doesn’t “know the status” of Chelsea’s dog."  I hope the dog is OK too. 

Esteemed Contributor

@muttmom wrote:

Glad she was found safe!

I wish the news could get it straight.  The New York Daily News stated, "O’Donnell and her first wife, Kelli Carpenter, adopted Chelsea in 1997, when she was two months old. Chelsea has four siblings."  It also stated the dog is just 6 months old and, "The cop said he doesn’t “know the status” of Chelsea’s dog."  I hope the dog is OK too. 

I'm glad the girl is ok but the puppy was only 6 months old...where is he/she?  

Honored Contributor

UPDATE.....

Law enforcement found Chelsea in Barnegat, at the house of a male she was "recently acquainted with" and say she willingly left with authorities.

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/aug/19/rosie-odonnell-missing-daughter-chelsea-sound-mind

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Esteemed Contributor

I'm glad the girl has been found safe and sound. However, I have a problem with the spokesperson making public the mental health issue. That is a private matter, and not one to be announced to the world. 

Honored Contributor

IMO mental illness has been kept quiet for way too long.  We've seen the result, way too many people don't understand it, don't have a clue that people with mental illness are not in complete control of themselves.

I think Rosie did the right thing by bringing her daughter's struggle out into the open.  For one thing, it alerted the police that her behavior might not be what is normal to them.

We do terrible harm when we hide mental illness as if it was something to be ashamed of.

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices