Honored Contributor

Re: Roof Question (Post installation-warranty)

You need both warranties.  The one for the materials used (this is the 50 year warranty) and the one for the work done/labor  (usually a year).

You should get warranty information for the materials used from the manufacturer of your roofing system.

The warranty information for the labor will be on the contract you signed with Home Depot.

If you know the name of the roofing system (it might be in your contract), you can try contact them directly.

I had a new roof and new windows and back door installed this year.  I contacted the roofing company after the install and they sent off the request to the manufacturer for the roofing warranty certificates for me and mailed them to me.  My manufacturer was GAF/Timberline HD for the roof system.

It is apparently not standard to ask for these as my roofing company seemed surprised at the request, but did comply without question.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

I have never known anyone to have a warranty on their roof.    A warranty on the shingles?   Yes.   

Honored Contributor

@CatLoverDogsToo   just go online and at  the roofer's site OR  the manufactures site you should be able to down load and print the warrentee on the specific roof type you purchased and had put on.  Hopefully you have the original paperwork with what the roofer  charged you for the roof.  That will be enough along with the warrentee informtion to cover you in case of a problem in the future.

We also had a new roof put on this past summer.

Honored Contributor

@Imaoldhippie wrote:

Since you went through Home Depot your roof was installed by a subcontractor and most likely Home Depot has nothing to do with the warranty.  But if I were you I would go see the HD store manager and tell him/her what a terrible time you have had dealing with them.  I also would ask him/her to see if they could get you a warranty from the contractor.  If the manager is unwilling to help you I would contact the HD corporate headquarters.  YOU, as a customer should not have to go through any problems at all.  If you get to satisfaction from anyone involved file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau.

Good luck, and yes some roof material and work is guarentee for 50 yrs or life time.

@Imaoldhippie

ITA. Home Depot hires the contractors. No reason the manager cannot solve the problem.

Valued Contributor

Hello VaBelle35,

Thank you for replying.  I bought GAF/Timberline HD shingles/ roof system that is supposed to be warrantied for 50 years and 150mph wind.

I really appreciate you letting me know the manufacturer would email me the warranty on that. I had no idea that was a possibility.

I have asked again for warranty information from Home Depot...the contractor assured me today that he will get it to me and will get someone out to fix a few things that aren't quite right. 

“The price of light is less than the cost of darkness.”
– Arthur C. Nielsen
Honored Contributor

You can actually register your warranty online at the GAF website.

You do need the paperwork from the contractor though.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

we had our roof changed about 4 yrs ago in May.

We did not get any kind of warranty paperwork on the roof. We had a roofing company do the work. Shingles are supposedly good for 25 yrs wear. 

We had new tar paper (or what ever that is called now a days), new wood put down in place of the any bad wood.  

Our roof was 25 yrs old when we had new roof put on