Honored Contributor

Re: Ronan Farrow in new New Yorker

@SydneyH wrote:

@kjae wrote:

DO NOT care for Mr. Farrow.

Agreed, I know I'm supposed to be super impressed by him, but I'm not.

@SydneyH     @kjae

Okay, I give up .....  what's the problem with an intelligent, hard working and very accomplished journalist?   Not many who receive a Pulitzer Prize do so by age 30.   He's definitely not your typical millenial slacker.   

Or maybe you just didn't bother to check out his accomplishments before forming an opinion?  Yeah, that must be it.

QVC Customer Care

This post has been removed by QVC because it is argumentative

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@hyacinth003 wrote:

@NicksmomESQ wrote:

The time has come for people to be called out for their bad behavior.  What was done in the past doesn’t let you off the hook today. The day of reckoning has finally come. Bring it on!!  Just make sure you have the facts straight because people’s reputations & lives are at stake.

Ronan Farrow is an excellent journalist.His work is throughly researched.

@NicksmomESQ 

I just don't understand expecting legal recourse for things 20 years ago.  I hope these stories will lead people to complain AT THE TIME of the incident.

Hyacinth

@hyacinth003   @NicksmomESQ

It becomes a bit of a sticky wicket when you try to super-impose today's attitudes and values on events that happened decades ago.    (Obviously, I'm not talking about something like murder .... it was always a crime)

There's a difference between improper, immoral and illegal.  There was a time not long ago when domestic violence was ignored by both relatives and law enforcement ....  rarely were charges brought unless someone was killed ... or was willing to testify in court.  

Often the victim was blamed if rape occurred ... "she was asking for it".   Prosecution went nowhere.

Unfortunately, those attitudes were "normal" back then.  

As for interaction between men and women .....  there were no laws or guidelines so there was nothing to adhere to .... just good manners.    

Just to be clear .... I'm NOT excusing anyone's bad behavior, but trying to call something illegal now that was commonplace in another time puts things in a gray area with regard to our laws. 

I don't know what's accurate or exaggerated with Moonves, but I do know his reputation is quite good in the industry ....  not like Weinstein, who was known to be a sleaze.   

It'll be interesting to see how this all plays out. 

@hyacinth003, are anyof the women expecting legal recourse against Moonves?   I haven't seen anything on that.

QVC Customer Care

This post has been removed by QVC copyright infringement

Esteemed Contributor

I read that assaulting females (and some males) at CBS was their culture --- Charlie Rose got his walking papers. I'm sure Julie Chen knew all about Moonves' behavior - but only saw him as a very successul CEO and a great catch.

I'm sure there are many other men in the media who are holding their breath right now. The sad part is that these rich, powerful, men ruin these women's (and men's) careers if they don't "agree."

Valued Contributor

I have a lot of respect for  Illeana Douglas. She is no silly ninnie. She was born into the business. You can IMDB or google her. 

As far as Julie's concerned.....they say, "you lose em how you get em".....who knows the truth?? Not me

Honored Contributor

@BettyNewbie wrote:

I have a lot of respect for  Illeana Douglas. She is no silly ninnie. She was born into the business. You can IMDB or google her. 

As far as Julie's concerned.....they say, "you lose em how you get em".....who knows the truth?? Not me

@BettyNewbie

I'm not clear as to your meaning .....   What are you saying here?

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@BettyNewbie wrote:

@BettyNewbie

I'm not clear as to your meaning .....   What are you saying here?

Julie was the mistress when Les left his wife for her.

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Honored Contributor

I have no idea about the story, true or not!  I can't stand the Julie Chen show (that's what I call it).

It drives me crazy when the hosts say something and the audience claps, over and over.  OK, so I know they've been told to do that, but it still drives me crazy!

I used to watch the show but stopped watching her show a year ago for the above reason.  I just feel like they sit in judgment of other people.  They Julie says, "What would you do?"  Then the other hosts all join in and tell us what they'd do and what we should do.  Ugh!

Esteemed Contributor

@Tinkrbl44   @hyacinth003  I said it was about time that people be called out for their bad behavior.I didn’t say that they should be held criminally or legally responsible.That’s not up to me.I understand these cases are difficult to bring to court. There are statutes that have expired.My point is that these people should be called out.

Years ago it was difficult or nearly impossible for victims to come forward.I know because I was one of them. JMO but I have no sympathy for a person in power who took advantage of a young woman. They deserve to be exposed.

I also don’t buy the argument that this behavior was ok at the time.It was ok because men were in charge & they made the rules.I believe they should be exposed today.Let the chips fall where they may.This behavior wether it happened 20 years ago or last week was never okay.