Honored Contributor

Ron Galella, Infamous Photog Who Stalked Jackie-O, Dead at 91

[ Edited ]

The Story Behind the Most Famous Paparazzi Photo | Time

Many of us of a certain age remember Ron Galella as an early-stage paparazzo who relentlessly stalked Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis to snap unauthorized photos of her.  As Harper's Bazaar wrote of Galella, he was "arguably the most controversial paparazzo of all time."  Above is one of his most well-known candid snaps of Jackie.

Only today did I learn of his death that occurred on April 30.  May he rest in peace.

Honored Contributor

Re: Ron Galella, Infamous Photog Who Stalked Jackie-O, Dead at 91

Rest in Peace,

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Some ancient history there.  He was 91, obviously his death surprised no one.  I think whatever he did to pictures back then pales in comparison to what the paparazzi do now.

Esteemed Contributor

@golding76   I vaguely remember but the photo you posted is a favorite of mine.  She looks happy, natural, beautiful and relaxed.

Honored Contributor

I don't know if this fella is the culprit, but I remember seeing a photo of her changing into or out of pants while wearing a bathing suit.  She was in between two parked cars in a parking lot I assume was a beach.

She was not smiling!

Esteemed Contributor

I saw something on TV within the last 6 months abt him where he was still alive talking abt the photos he took of JK. I think , I reember that she ended up taking him to court as she was hounded and did not want her children hounded by photographers

Super Contributor

Oh yes, I remember him.  My recollection, and I was young then, is that he wasn't a stalker but rather a relentless yet respectful photog.  He never crossed the line with her.  I think Jackie Kennedy had a love/hate relationship with him.  RIP Ron Galella.

Esteemed Contributor

Despite the fact that this photographer  was able to capture some iconic photos of Jackie Kennedy for all of us to appreciate , he did stalk her and she wanted   as normal a life as possible for herself and her children.

I believe that paparazzi do cross the line and even had a hand in how Dianna died in that horrific car crash .  I'm glade that  Jackie Kennedy was able to take him to court to stop the stalking .

Respected Contributor

Anyone around then remembers the contention between them lol. And there's no significance to photographs being "unauthorized." They don't have to be authorized when one is out in public. That's why he wasn't ordered to cease taking photos, but only to remain 25 feet away when doing so.

What worries you masters you.