Esteemed Contributor

Re: Rolling Electricity Blackouts in Oklahoma, Arkansas

@freakygirl  Yikes! That's a lot of lengthy blackouts. Where do you live? Are you safe and able to add layers of clothing to stay warm?  I'm so sorry to read your post.

Keep us up-dated on how you are doing, please.

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Trusted Contributor

@BirkiLady i sincerely appreciate your concern. i'm in central texas. our first brownout lasted 5 hours, and the next one happened 3 hours later. that's what we're on now and going on it's 19th hour. i'm bundled up but still freezing. still a lot to be thankful for, but power back on would be nice! you stay safe and warm too! 

Respected Contributor

Close to KC in Kansas we had rolling blackout this morning that lasted an hour and a half.

I have been going out to start the truck and its barely turned over each time.

Yesterday I reach for the passenger side door handle and it was frozen. I yanked it and the whole door handle and plate came off out of the socket. I was so mad.

Now I can't use the door at all but at least I can drive and get in that way. I'm not sure if it can be fixed. I shoved the whole think back in the hole for now. Stupid stupid stupid me.

Regular Contributor

Blessings to those affected by the exteme weather and rolling blackouts in the South.  We in California know your pain.  Over the past couple of years, extreme heat and low humidity have caused rolling blackouts in California to deal with the surge in need for electricity to keep cool.  I wish you all well until this event passes.

Please also check your homeowner's insurance policy to see whether any damage to your property caused by this event is covered.

Be well.

Honored Contributor

I'm not suggesting you all do this, or being snarky, I'm in Tx too you know, but, I told hubby if ours goes off I'll know how to handle it,

Jump on the recumbent photo13-vi.gifI have to turn the floor fan on around mile 3 of the 8 or so I do 3 times a week.

ptOPjc5nI4rh.gif

Honored Contributor

No blackouts in Middle TN at this point. Just lots of ice. It's like a normal winter ice storm but the temps are colder and they've stayed colder longer than usual. Usuall the ice melts in a day or two. TDOT doesn't really store much salt or deicer for that reason. Fingers crossed the powerlines stay up.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

All is back to normal where I live in the PNW.  Trash trucks just picked up, roads clear and blue sky.  Yeah!   

I always worry about pipes when we get below freezing because I live in a 70+ year old home.  My pipes are fine and my power stayed on so I was lucky.  

Trusted Contributor

@Sooner - Many areas of Texas experiencing blackouts or complete power outages.  More frigid temps, ice and snow in the forecast.  

Honored Contributor

@WORKING GAL wrote:

@Sooner - Many areas of Texas experiencing blackouts or complete power outages.  More frigid temps, ice and snow in the forecast.  

@WORKING GAL You all are really getting hammered too!  It just started to snow again here.  I don't think it will be as the last one though, and the wind chills may not be as bad.

Esteemed Contributor

@freakygirl   You've got some nasty weather in TX - and your homes are not insulated for this kind of snow and long cold weather like our homes in Nebraska are.

I just talked with a good friend in Ft. Worth and he feels like Lincoln and Omaha are much better suited and able to deal with this weather. (He is a former Lincoln and KC resident.) He's staying put in his home, but is amazed at how cold it is . . . and his home is only seven years old. 

Sounds like a second round might be coming. Bundle up, snuggle, stay warm and healthy.  Weirdest weather I've seen in about 50 years (or longer). Where's that global warming when we need it?

I believe Lincoln will have a balmy 30 degrees by next Monday! It was -31 last night and we did have rolling black outs this morning in parts of the city. My neighborhood (and house) has been fine and, fortunately, I've been toasty warm at 68 degrees. Feeling grateful after talking with my friend in Ft. Worth. Stay safe!                                                 

Money screams; wealth whispers.