Contributor

Re: Rolling Electricity Blackouts in Oklahoma, Arkansas

We are having blackouts in Kansas City also, 30-60 minutes.

Honored Contributor

1 day Amarillo had -11 below. I can kiss my shrubs and pricey trees good-bye.  Money threw down the c*apper. Husband declared no more planting we learned our lesson.        Woman Sad

Honored Contributor

@SharkE wrote:

1 day Amarillo had -11 below. I can kiss my shrubs and pricey trees good-bye.  Money threw down the c*apper. Husband declared no more planting we learned our lesson.        Woman Sad

@SharkE Sorry to hear about your landscaping!  We've had below zero and we did hit -11 one day I think, so I don't know what will make it and what won't here.

But sharke, please don't turn on all your kitchen appliances at once or we're all doomed!  Woman Very Happy

Honored Contributor

@SharkE wrote:

I hadn't even thought about the cold's effect on plantings.  Azaleas probably will have a rough go of it.  The USDA will have to redraw its hardiness zone map after this winter.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@4kitties wrote:

My heart goes out to all of you in areas not accustomed or equipped for this horrid frigid weather.  I am in Illinois and we do see this sort of weather from time to time and are fully equipped to deal with it.  

It is still scary cold and I cannot imagine being without power.  We were at 3 degrees this morning and on the Weather Channel they said it was even colder in Texas!!  

Just crazy...........

Prayers that all will be safe during this horrible weather event.

@4kitties It's like in the summer when it gets over 100 in some places up north and we're all down here going "Really?  You don't have air conditioning?"  Woman Wink

There will be a lot of rethinking down here I can tell you, and wow how much water will be flowing when broken pipes thaw????

(Edit:  I typed "unthaw"!  So funny and stupid I have to share.  Unthaw!  Really?  Would that be freeze?  Woman Embarassed)

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

Lots of towns in Oklahoma, even little towns, and a few in Arkansas are experiencing rolling electricity blackouts of 1 to 2 hours or so. 

Anyone else?  

@Sooner   Yes, here in Nebraska too...

We have been lucky so far too...just lucked out of the one here in Lincoln by just a few blocks. *Whew*

It was about -28 early am...oy.

Honored Contributor

So sorry that you and others in the region are experiencing this, @Sooner .  Being at the mercy of this stuff is so unnerving.   Prayers up for all affected, and that you stay warm and safe.

Honored Contributor

@Susan Louise wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

Lots of towns in Oklahoma, even little towns, and a few in Arkansas are experiencing rolling electricity blackouts of 1 to 2 hours or so. 

Anyone else?  

We have been lucky so far too...just lucked out of the one here in Lincoln by just a few blocks. *Whew*

@Susan Louise WOW so sorry!  I hope your plants and pipes survive!  And this one has gone on so long!  We aren't used to to that. 

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@Susan Louise wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

Anyone else?  

@Susan Louise WOW so sorry!  I hope your plants and pipes survive!  And this one has gone on so long!  We aren't used to to that. 

@Sooner We are not shut off...we escaped from the one going on now by a few blocks.

Honored Contributor

Sooner,

My heart goes out to all of those suffering from this odd weather pattern that has locked in your area with frigid temperatures.  Not having the necessities of warmth in cold temperatures and running water of desired degree is frightening and humbling.

We have had our moments in the Mid-Atlantic in the past, and it is harrowing, to say the least.

Times like these make me fear for an all-out attack on the power grids in the U.S.  We are vulnerable.

May you and all in the throes of this wretched cold remain safe.