Honored Contributor

Re: Roger Goodell upholds Patriots QB Tom Brady's four-game suspension

it will be a "blemish" but i doubt it will keep him out of the hall of fame OR from being "worshipped" by his fans.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Esteemed Contributor

@ZoetheCat wrote:

I live in New England and am a Patriots fan. However, I find it ridiculous that so many fans here are either excusing Brady's actions or denying that he did anything wrong at all.  It's obvious (to me) that he was involved in this.  I just don't think it sets a good example to tell people (especially kids) that they should tell the truth and then sweep this under the rug.  The saddest part of all of it is that Tom Brady is a great player, probably one of the best QBs of all time, and this will now tarnish his record. 

He's a flawed person who lacks the confidence and belief that he and his team can win without cheating. Being a cheater is bad enough but to add being a sleazy liar is worse.  If I were his team mate I'd ask him to end this with the truth.

Trees are the lungs of the Earth
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

For it to really be meaningful he needed to be banned the whole season...at the minimum. I wish he was gone forever. he's a lowlife.

This "he's a good player in his own right" begs the question, then why did he have to resort to cheating?? How many times has he cheated throughout his career to make him this supposedly talented player??

Plus having a coach who has cheated and condones Brady's cheating. It's just wrong.

To me that is not a team that has earned it like the others who play their hearts out and want to win on their own merit.

I am sick of these bigshots who think it's okay to do whatever they want and they get away with it.

Gawd, they make enough money to live forever. When is it enough??

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I lost any serious intrest in pro sports a long time ago.  That said, in my opinion, Goodell is a twit on so many levels, and all this aside, should've probably been replaced by now or, better yet, never hired for this job in the first place...  And yea, I don't get it, appealing his decision to him... makes no sense... Should've gone to a panel of some sort, not made up of anyone connected to the NFL.

I do like Brady and the Patiots and agree with some of the pundits who believe if the NFL wasn't trying to redeem itself for letting far more serious 'violations' slide, a few underinflated footballs would not have become the cause celebre that it became, with the ridiculous, never-ending investigation and so on...  And no, I don't think this is done...

As for the Hall of Fame, he'll still be inducted, at some point.  Fortunately, Goodell doesn't get to decide that one unilaterally and there's no denying Tom Brady's excellence, accomplishments or what he's brought to the game...  That said, it does seem Tom 's integrity is shaky and that he was more likable before the money, the actress, the model, the property, the jet-set lifestyle, and all the rest...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'm glad that they upheld his tiny little miniscule punishment for cheating.  *rolleyes*

His defense about the cell phone is laughable.  So, I'm curious - Why DID he just happen to destroy the cell phone after it was requested as evidence?    Was this just another major coincidence?   sure thing

The guy is so smarmy and gross!  I would be onboard for keeping him out of the HOF.   Remember that baseball player, many years ago - the kind of dufus guy with the ceral bowl haircut?   He cheated, in another way (IIRC he was betting on games and that was strictly verboten by the rules) and was kept from the HOF.

I have a feeling this guy won't suffer the same fate, though.    In my view he ruined what he had because, by all appearances, he cheated to get there.  That should speak for itself.   

He should definitely be kept from the HOF.   The lesson taught by giving a guy a slap on the hand for cheating, and then continuing to hold him up as some kind of hero to be emulated is just patently wrong.

Valued Contributor

I'm honestly surprised that 4 games was all he got in the first place, but not surprised it was upheld in this "appeal".

I didn't know he had destroyed the cell phone.  How convenient.

My very wise grandmother had a saying...once a cheater always a cheater; and what comes around goes around.  I suspect this will catch up to him in some other way!

Honored Contributor

The whole thing was just so unnecessary for his talent and skill.  Unless he wanted to ensure his wife could not yell profanities at anyone (including yelling at him) after this Superbowl. 

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Read Brady's entire statement before you all do the Happy Dance.  If the statement is true, then Brady gave the NFL every opportunity to obtain records of his texts and all transmissions from his cell phone.

I believe that the NFL has been foaming at the mouth to make an example of Brady and the Patriots.

"Summer afternoon-summer afternoon; to me those have always been the two most beautiful words in the English language." ~Henry James
Respected Contributor

Uh huh. 

Respected Contributor

I was okay with the decision until I found out that Goodell recently reduced the 4 game suspensions of a wife beater and drug user to two games.  Somehow; I don't think that whatever Brady did is the equivalent of beating a woman or abusing drugs.  Whatever happened to the infamous balls, we know Brady didn't actually do anything to them.  I think Goodell was boxed in; the penalty was excessive and not based on much but Goodell couldn't back track and reduce the suspension to two games unless Brady gave him something.  Brady had to admit to something or at least kiss the Commissioner's ring and Brady just won't do that.  This thing is going to court where "we think he knew something or he should have known something" won't hold much weight.  But Tom still won't be playing those first 4 games.