Honored Contributor

Re: Rod McKuen, Singer & Songwriter, Dies At 81

On 1/30/2015 Lindsays Grandma said:
On 1/29/2015 NoelSeven said:

McKuen and Jacques Brel created music together and composed & wrote the lyrics for "Seasons In The Son.'

McKuen was famous for singing it and eventually it became THE song about AIDS, often sung at the funerals of those who died of it.

I still cry every time I hear it, it brings it all back. The horror of it all.

<em>Adieu, Emile, my trusted friend</em><br /> <em>We've known each other since we were nine or ten.</em><br /> <em>Together we climbed hills and trees</em><br /> <em>Learned of love and ABC's</em><br /> <em>Skinned our hearts and skinned our knees.</em><br /> <em>Adieu, Emile, it's hard to die</em><br /> <em>When all the birds are singing in the sky</em><br /> <em>Now that the Spring is in the air</em><br /> <em>Pretty girls are everywhere.</em><br /> <em>Wish for me and I'll be there.</em><br /> <br /> <em>We had joy. We had fun.</em><br /> <em>We had seasons in the sun</em><br /> <em>But the wine and the song</em><br /> <em>Like the seasons are all gone</em><br /> <br /> <em>Adieu, Papa, please pray for me</em><br /> <em>I was the black sheep of the family.</em><br /> <em>You tried to teach me right from wrong</em><br /> <em>Too much wine and too much song, wonder how i got along.</em><br /> <em>Adieu, Papa, it's hard to die</em><br /> <em>When all the birds are singing in the sky</em><br /> <em>Now that the Spring is in the air</em><br /> <em>Little children everywhere</em><br /> <em>Think of me, I'll be there.</em><br /> <br /> <em>We had joy. We had fun</em><br /> <em>We had seasons in the sun</em><br /> <em>But the song and the rhyme</em><br /> <em>Were just seasons out of time</em>

Always loved this, thanks for reminding me of it.

It's available on youtube if you want to hear it again. I think they also have it by other singers, but I listened to McKuen singing it this evening.

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Highlighted
Super Contributor

I have a book of his poems that I got in the '70s. ""Listen to the Warm"" Sorry to hear of his passing.

Honored Contributor

RIP beautiful man.

Fate whispers to her, "You cannot withstand the storm." She whispers back, "I am the storm."

Respected Contributor

Yes, I always think of him more as a poet, but what a very talented and lovely man he was.

Super Contributor

Sad news but this is why I enjoy the forums. I find others who share my interests, such as Doc Martin, Broadchurch etc. If I mentioned Rod McKuen to my immediate circle, I'm sure I'd get a blank stare.

I first heard McKuen recite "Sloopy" (was a cowboy cat) on tv and I was hooked. Saw him in concert--a birthday gift from my husband who sat through patiently while I wept and cheered. Pregnant at the time and very emotional. Nostalgic today.

Honored Contributor

On 1/30/2015 Anglophilly said:

Sad news but this is why I enjoy the forums. I find others who share my interests, such as Doc Martin, Broadchurch etc. If I mentioned Rod McKuen to my immediate circle, I'm sure I'd get a blank stare.

I first heard McKuen recite "Sloopy" (was a cowboy cat) on tv and I was hooked. Saw him in concert--a birthday gift from my husband who sat through patiently while I wept and cheered. Pregnant at the time and very emotional. Nostalgic today.

I also cried over "Sloopy." I had an amazing cat at that time who passed from cancer, and I'd break down every time I heard that poem.

There's a youtube video of McKuen reading Sloopy on a television show, I think it was Merv Griffin. Just do a youtube search for "Rod McKuen Sloopy" and you'll find it. I watched that one last night, too Smile

I know what you mean about finding people who like the same things you do, I doubt most people I know would know Rod McKuen. My husband does, I used to make him listen, too, LOL. And I've played his songs for my daughter.

Anyone remember him doing "Stanyan Street"? That was where he lived in San Francisco, I lived there for a time, also.

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices