Respected Contributor

Re: Rock and Roll Hall of Fame

wasn't dionne nominated last year too?  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Lou Christie (Lightnin' Strikes, etc., etc.)

Still going strong!  Fabulous!

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Respected Contributor

So, I'll answer my own question. Yes, Dionne was nominated last year also.

I'm not super enthused about the list to choose from - the ones on the list I'm partial to really aren't Rock n roll.  

Here are my choices: Dionne, Dolly, Carly, Lionel, eurythmics.  alternate could be eminem  - I like that one song from the movie.

I would have enthusiastically voted for Meatloaf

Trusted Contributor

Dolly

Dionne

Eurhymics ( love Annie Lennox!)

Carly

Lionel

Valued Contributor

@feline groovy...

You do realize that Bill Haley and the Comets, The Turtles, PaulRevere and the Raiders

and many others you would NEVER put in the class of the artists you named were "Rock 'N Roll before any of them were ever thought of.

The genre is constantly evolving, and because it is so fluid it is impossible to really call ANY artist or group definitive ly Rock 'N Roll.

At some point (70s?) we began to see the "niche" process of classifying our music.

Harder edge stuff was given the deliniation "Rock" (this is about the time that "'N Roll" was dumped)...softer stuff was dubbed MOR or Adult Contemporary. Bubbly ear candy was called Pop, and the deeper poetic or social commentary stuff was called Singer/Songwriter.  Black America gave us R&B and Soul (Thank you STAX and Motown!)  Later on we got Disco, House, Technica Hip Hop and Rap. 

Apparently in 2022 the lines have been completely blurred to where Country legend Dolly Parton has been nominated!

As someone whose first three records were by The Chiffons, Shelly Fabares and Steve Lawrence....I have always been willing to go along for the ride.

My music was Late 50s, 60s, 70s and 80s.  Hail Hail Rock "N Roll!!!!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

My picks are:

Lionel Ritchie

Duran Duran

Carly Simon

Dolly Parton

Pat Benatar

Esteemed Contributor

I vote for:

Lionel Richie

Dionne Warwick

Dolly Parton

Eminem

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Honored Contributor

@781Florist wrote:

@feline groovy...

You do realize that Bill Haley and the Comets, The Turtles, PaulRevere and the Raiders

and many others you would NEVER put in the class of the artists you named were "Rock 'N Roll before any of them were ever thought of.

The genre is constantly evolving, and because it is so fluid it is impossible to really call ANY artist or group definitive ly Rock 'N Roll.

At some point (70s?) we began to see the "niche" process of classifying our music.

Harder edge stuff was given the deliniation "Rock" (this is about the time that "'N Roll" was dumped)...softer stuff was dubbed MOR or Adult Contemporary. Bubbly ear candy was called Pop, and the deeper poetic or social commentary stuff was called Singer/Songwriter.  Black America gave us R&B and Soul (Thank you STAX and Motown!)  Later on we got Disco, House, Technica Hip Hop and Rap. 

Apparently in 2022 the lines have been completely blurred to where Country legend Dolly Parton has been nominated!

As someone whose first three records were by The Chiffons, Shelly Fabares and Steve Lawrence....I have always been willing to go along for the ride.

My music was Late 50s, 60s, 70s and 80s.  Hail Hail Rock "N Roll!!!!

@781Florist   Excellent summary regarding how music has evolved through the decades.  Don't forget Punk and Grunge.

While I enjoy the music I grew up with, there are so many good indie artists today;  music to be enjoyed in all genres by all generations.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Respected Contributor

I'd vote Dolly Parton into the Hall, if only for her very good performance in the movie "Nine to Five" and her entertaining song that goes "Workin' Nine to Five, what a way to make a living"..........