Honored Contributor

A plea has gone out from a family on the Navajo Nation for help removing their 8 sheep plus their sheep dog from a high cliff where they've been stuck, having been discovered yesterday.  They're on a ledge on a huge rock formation out in the middle of nowhere.  Local fire department says there's nothing they can do.  Quite a dilemma but I bet someone or a group comes forward to help.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

I sure hope so🙁

Respected Contributor

My DH has gone rock climbing a few times and it is not an easy sport to do and have your hands available for other things like trying to carry down a sheep or a dog.

Perhaps a helicopter could air lift them off, although that might be a little costly.

Probably the dog could get down himself, but maybe he does not want to leave the sheep.

I know goats are great mountain climbers, and perhaps these sheep could attempt it as well...

Honored Contributor

I've seen helicopters rescue animals in this situation.  

Honored Contributor

Those Navajo dogs that watch the sheep are mongrel-looking creatures but are very possessive, so I'm not sure they'd let a stranger/rescuer get near them.  A son of the family was trying to climb up to them but they said the rock is very slick and it was difficult.

Esteemed Contributor

Maybe rescuers could tranquilize the dog ( and sheep if necessary) and bring them down via helicopter.

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

A plea has gone out from a family on the Navajo Nation for help removing their 8 sheep plus their sheep dog from a high cliff where they've been stuck, having been discovered yesterday.  They're on a ledge on a huge rock formation out in the middle of nowhere.  Local fire department says there's nothing they can do.  Quite a dilemma but I bet someone or a group comes forward to help.

@Kachina624 

Please send request to Best Friends Animal Sanctuary dot com.

Many on the Navajo reservation don’t have internet.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

@Drythe   Good idea, I went to their website which is very ponderous but could find nowhere to report a need for service or an emergency.  I did a report on a page for Facebook for wildlife rescue.  There was nothing for domestic animal rescue.  Then I went to their regular Facebook page but could find a place to post such a situation there either.

They don't seem to encourage requests for help.

Honored Contributor

How did those animals get up there??  

When I was younger I was an avid rock climber but not now...volunteered for our County Search & Rescue. I would be so happy to help out if I could. I hope they find help!

Valued Contributor

@Kachina624 

Another resource might be The Animal Rescue Site...not just for shopping. Worth a try.