Trusted Contributor

@rochestergirl  Was there the lilac festival this year?  My lilacs in Colorado this year are fabulous!

@Kachina624  Sorry you still haven't had rain at your house.  Luckily we've had rain all morning here..the air is finally clearing of dust dirt and pollen...DW

Respected Contributor

@On It  I went to college in Rochester and then lived there for another 20 years.  

It gets "Lake Effect" weather being on the shore of Lake Ontario.  My first autumn, while I was in college, it rained every weekend except for the one weekend I went home to visit my parents.  Guys from my school were volunteering to fill sandbags to help homeowners with flooding.  

Winters get snow, but then it melts and snows again......it always seemed slushy and damp to me. 

That being said, it's a beautiful area, lots of museums, arts, colleges etc and the hometown of Wegmans, Eastman Kodak and Xerox among other companies. 

Honored Contributor

@kaydee50 wrote:

@FiddleDeeDee wrote:

Rochester is one of the areas DH has been offered a job and twice we have turned it down for varying reasons. Ironically, it's an area we WANT to move and possibly retire to. We've known a few people who grew up there and returned to retire and all of them are lovely individuals. 

Curious to know why you would want to retire there.  There is an article in the NY Times about a family who bought a house just outside of Rochester.  They paid about $250,000 for it which is reasonable but the taxes were approximately $8,000, which is not.  NYS is a high tax state.

@kaydee50  Seniors in NYS can get a significant reduction in their property tax assessment - as much as 50%.  They have to apply for it and there are conditions naturally, e.g. income level, length of ownership, etc.  My mother is in NYS and I was surprised to learn recently how little she pays.  I thought it was a mistake, then my brother told me about the senior benefit.

Honored Contributor

@ValuSkr wrote:

@kaydee50 wrote:

@FiddleDeeDee wrote:

Rochester is one of the areas DH has been offered a job and twice we have turned it down for varying reasons. Ironically, it's an area we WANT to move and possibly retire to. We've known a few people who grew up there and returned to retire and all of them are lovely individuals. 

Curious to know why you would want to retire there.  There is an article in the NY Times about a family who bought a house just outside of Rochester.  They paid about $250,000 for it which is reasonable but the taxes were approximately $8,000, which is not.  NYS is a high tax state.

@kaydee50  Seniors in NYS can get a significant reduction in their property tax assessment - as much as 50%.  They have to apply for it and there are conditions naturally, e.g. income level, length of ownership, etc.  My mother is in NYS and I was surprised to learn recently how little she pays.  I thought it was a mistake, then my brother told me about the senior benefit.

Yes, you're right!  I forgot that my mother who lived in Queens paid very low taxes on her $300,000 house.

Trusted Contributor

@kaydee50   Though we have 15 years or more till DH retires, we're looking now in order to prepare things. We've always lived in a high COL area but sometimes taxes aren't what you need to be worried about. That said, what a state has to offer Seniors financially is all part of our research Smiley Happy

"Coming to ya from Florida"
Respected Contributor

@cindyNC Thank you for your reply. I am fascinated by the area and hope to visit someday soon. I will be sure to block out the winter months since snow and I don't mix.

Respected Contributor

Decades ago, now, I was on a business trip to Rochester in the winter.  Was snowing when I got there first thing in the morning and was still snowing when I left at the close of business.

Honored Contributor

I live 1.5 hours from Rochester, infact, we went to the practice round on Wednesday.  It was chilly but sunny.  The taxes for seniors are cut by 50% as my MIL pays hardly anything. Yes, it does snow here but it doesn't last long and no devastation.  We have the Adirondacks and great fun wineries 45 minutes away.  There is always something to do. 

Contributor

It is a beautiful sunny day in Rochester today (Sunday). Great day for golf.

Respected Contributor

Rain does not bother these golfers. They are tough and have played in all sorts of conditions.  No it is not typically wet and cold here in spring but the weather can vary tremedously because we are right on Lake Ontario.  Except for Saturday the weather for both the Lilac Festival and the PGA were very nice!  Summer and Fall are my favorite!  And we do not have wild fires, hurricanes, mudslides, and tornadoes (maybe tiny ones now and then).  WInters are fine by me,  I do not like extreme heat and luckily we get few of those in summer. Love the 4 seasons!  Would not live anywhere but the northeast!