Trusted Contributor

Robot delivery!

[ Edited ]

Was visiting a former colleague on a college campus this evening....she ordered dinner for us and I just assumed a delivery guy would bring it. To my surprise, a small robot came to her apartment door with our food. She punched in a code and the window on the robot slid open and she took our our food. Then it closed and the robot left and went back to the campus food court area where they lined up until dispatched. Maybe I am just old, but I was completely amazed! It was almost like a roomba only bigger and it traveled around campus by itself...even through a crowded parking lot. Have any of you ever seen one of these? 

Regular Contributor

That is awesome! I wish I could have seen that.

Honored Contributor

I've heard of this and actually saw the story on local news a couple of weeks ago. Very cool.

Trusted Contributor

The college where we were is a big tech place so apparently this is not a big deal there. When I left later I saw another one going down a sidewalk on campus with students  we Ery where and they didn't even to notice.

Honored Contributor

I wish you'd taken a picture of it.  Great, novel entertainment for dinner guests and sure beats cooking. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Huh.....guess students don't need part-time jobs any more...

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

amusing....another job lost

Respected Contributor

Re: Robot delivery!

[ Edited ]

I looked up Food Delivery Robots and found several articles and many images online.

Kiwibot and Starship Technologies are two of several companies that have been developing these types of four wheeled delivery robots to supplement human couriers.

Starship Technologies

We are a company building a network of robots ready to serve you anytime, anywhere.

A food delivery robot.

Starship robot finding work and delivering on campuses

We believe our robots will revolutionise food and package deliveries, offering people convenient new services that improve everyday life.

With a combination of mobile technology, autonomous robots and partnering with stores and restaurants, we make local delivery faster, smarter and more cost-efficient.

Kiwibot

We offer the largest robot delivery infrastructure in the world by connecting businesses that want to utilize our robots for last-mile delivery.

Delivery robot catches fire at UC Berkeley campus, students hold vigil

Prepare to start seeing delivery robots on the sidewalks of Miami

Honored Contributor

@Desertdi   many of those students do have jobs, but many of those jobs are related to their studies or special skills

Even in the world beyond the campuses, it's the jobs that require the worker to show up at a workplace that are going empty --  jobs which can allow employees to work remotely are much more likely to attract workers.

As someone who would prefer to buy as much locally as I can, I would really like people to want to work in stores, work in offices, do deliveries, man the restaurants, etc. but those who want those jobs seem to be fewer and fewer all the time.  I don't have lots and lots of years left, but I think I will have to get more used to a different world than I am comfortable with right now.