Honored Contributor

Re: Robot Servers in Restaurants

Porcelein and On the Bay !!!!!

Oh how I loved going to Horn and Hardardt at NY !!!!!  It was such a treat as a younger person to eat there and I was sorry to see the chain go out of business.  Whenever I see that Doris Day movie I smile and remember!!!!!

deepwaterdotter

I find Alexa creepy and have no interest in having one in my home.  I wouldn't go to a restaurant with robots waiting tables.  I like to interact with people not machines. 

Frequent Contributor

My sister and I did the same.

Honored Contributor

I agree with those of you who feel these jobs are oppotunities for young workers to navigate the world of the workplace and earn an income.  But I wonder if service jobs aren't lost since no one is looking to fill them.  Will workers ever again want to serve the public as a stepping stone to a more lucrative career? 

Honored Contributor

I wouldn't want it to become the norm, but it wouldn't stop me from eating somewhere that does. I'm kind of intrigued as to how it would work. 

Honored Contributor

It wouldn't make a difference to me.  I don't like to eat in resturants and don't unless I have no choice, usually when on vacation.

I don't like people touching my food.

Respected Contributor

When I eat in a restaurant, I do it for either the food or to enjoy the company of whoever I'm dining with.  I don't do it to interact with the waitperson, so I would be fine with having a robot, or even a trained dog, delivering my food.

Honored Contributor

It's very interesting that you've raised this question at this juncture, @deepwaterdotter .   I've been worrying with the dip in the work force recently, many jobs going begging, that maybe the work ethic is being undermined.

Am hoping that isn't the case, and that people will ultimately resist that.   For now, it may look bleak in that department, but I have a feeling that the impulse to do honest work, whatever that might be, will be revived, so central is it to self-respect, and personal and societal betterment.   

Respected Contributor

If you’re concerned about this taking jobs away from young people, you haven’t been paying attention. Restaurants have been cutting their menus, services, and hours because they can’t hire enough workers. This is solution to that problem. I’d go to a restaurant with robot servers. I also don’t mind ordering and paying from a tabletop kiosk.
Honored Contributor

No, I well understand that robotic help could "make up" for the well-documented current lack of human applicants for jobs, @RollTide2008 --   I'm just hoping that the pendulum will swing again, with people returning to the workforce once more.  In my opinion, it's possible, and desirable. 

Respected Contributor