Honored Contributor

Re: Robocalls With Spoofed Caller ID: Help is on the Way

[ Edited ]

@Carmie wrote:

I get these spoofed calls everyday.  Some of the calls are from phone numbers of people that I know, but not well enough that they would be calling me.

i keep my voice mail system on and then go back later in the day to block the number if no message left.

I am eligible for Medicare next summer.  My phone is ringing off of the hook with companies trying to sell me Advantage Plans and Supplements.  My snail mail box is also full of information.  Who would purchase insurance more than 6 months ahead of time?

@Carmie

And if you are on the DO NOT CALL REGISTRY why would you do business with a company that didnt honor it (its a law) and called you...What kind of company are they, and what other regulations dont they obey....Thats what I asked one company when one time I picked up the phone

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Esteemed Contributor

@ShowMe wrote:

Thank goodness they don't make these darn calls late at night.  Usually don't get any after 8:00 pm.......

------------------

I have received calls at 6:30 am as well as 9 pm!  Of course don't answer, but it is irritating!  They never leave a message....

Respected Contributor

@BirkiLady wrote:

@handygal2  This is interesting data I've discovered within the past 6-8 months:
1. When I call Time and Temperature, I receive a Robocall the following day.

2. If I call my VISA to make a payment, I receive a Robocall the following day. If I make the payment on-line, no phone call. They are trying to do away with their Customer Sales Representatives in an money-saving attempt! I believe in great personal Customer Service so I'm determined to call VISA rather than utilize their on-line resources. I'll try to keep their CSR employees employed. LOL

Has anyone else noticed such annoying Robocalls after doing personal business?

ETA: These calls are on my landline, which I've provided to VISA and other businesses. It is also the phone I use when calling Time & Temperature early in the morning! 

Never receive Robocalls on my cell; a couple of wrong numbers only in all the years I've had it. 

I get so many robocalls I wouldn't know if they are in response to anything I do. And I rarely do personal business on the phone anyway - all online.

Honored Contributor

@BirkiLady wrote:

@handygal2  This is interesting data I've discovered within the past 6-8 months:

2. If I call my VISA to make a payment, I receive a Robocall the following day. If I make the payment on-line, no phone call. They are trying to do away with their Customer Sales Representatives in an money-saving attempt! I believe in great personal Customer Service so I'm determined to call VISA rather than utilize their on-line resources. I'll try to keep their CSR employees employed. LOL

ETA: These calls are on my landline, which I've provided to VISA and other businesses. It is also the phone I use when calling Time & Temperature early in the morning! 

Never receive Robocalls on my cell; a couple of wrong numbers only in all the years I've had it. 

@BirkiLady wrote:

TIME and temperature?  I didn't know they still had that, I use the cable box, cell phone for this,  and mail a check 

Respected Contributor

@Icegoddess

I do the same as you.  My family's and friends' phone numbers are programmed in our phones, so we know if any of them are calling.  I had a real shock a month or so ago when a came in with my name and phone # on the caller ID!  It was a recording, so I couldn't even ask who was actually calling.  When I contacted our state Attorney General's office I was told my number was spoofed and the only thing I could do was to change my number.  Our number is the same, we didn't bother changing it.  Wonder how many people got a call from me.   😱

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Spurt wrote:

I let my answering machine screen my calls on my landline---family/friends keep talking and know if Im home ill pick it up.....

DITTO!

This is my AM message I have used for 20+ yrs:  "All calls are screened.  Please leave a message after the beep.  If not, as far as I am concerned, you never called."

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Esteemed Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

I let my answering machine screen my calls on my landline---family/friends keep talking and know if Im home ill pick it up.....

What annoys me on my cell phone is I have a call blocker, I dont answer, block the number, and yet they get past the call blocker and call back later...maybe because its a spoofed number they call from!!!

@Spurt

OMG!! This happens to me.  I would ignore the call and then immediately block the number. The jerks would just switch to another number from the same area code. It drives me crazy. I actually filed a complaint with the "Do Not Call Registry" I am not sure if it's a coincidence or not, but the calls about health insurance finally stopped.  I was easily getting between 5 to 6 calls per day. 

I just want to scream leave me alone.

Respected Contributor

And while the phone companies are doing that, the scammers are already working ways around it.  You are the "firewall" for this kind of stuff.  You have to be vilgilant.

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

My landline is bundled with my cable company and they offer a service where, when someone calls me, they have to enter a number to make the call go through.  This foils the robo callers because they don't have a keyboard or number pad.  The day I activated this feature, the calls stopped completely.

I have nomorobo for my cell, but it is not quite as good.  My practice is that if I don't recognize the number, it goes to voice mail.  If they don't leave a voice mail, I block the number or report it to nomorobo (I always check online to see if it is a known spam number).

I suspect the phone companies are all making out on both sides of this deal.  They charge the telemarketers for services and then charge us to block them.

Honored Contributor

@icezeus wrote:

@Spurt wrote:

What annoys me on my cell phone is I have a call blocker, I dont answer, block the number, and yet they get past the call blocker and call back later...maybe because its a spoofed number they call from!!!

@Spurt

OMG!! This happens to me.  I would ignore the call and then immediately block the number. The jerks would just switch to another number from the same area code. It drives me crazy. I actually filed a complaint with the "Do Not Call Registry" I am not sure if it's a coincidence or not, but the calls about health insurance finally stopped.  I was easily getting between 5 to 6 calls per day. 

I just want to scream leave me alone.

@icezeus

Me too ICEZEUS Me too!!! 

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”