Honored Contributor

Re: Robin Givhan on Meghan Markle's Wedding Dress - Yes, Audrey Hepburn Is Mentioned

[ Edited ]

stevieb,

I had thought of placing it in the Fashion forum, but then I deemed it a better fit for the Community forum because the story of the wedding has been dominating the news. 

Respected Contributor

Re: Robin Givhan on Meghan Markle's Wedding Dress - Yes, Audrey Hepburn Is Mentioned

[ Edited ]

@golding76 wrote:

skuggles,

Not the germ of the article!  The germ of what you called my "romantic" thoughts concerning the dress.

Sorry if I was not clear.

I was referring to the author's article when I said romanticization, not your romantic thoughts. I thought we were disussing the article/review posted.

Honored Contributor

Oops, guess I misunderstood you.  Now we are on track.

Esteemed Contributor

I think about my own wedding gown and wonder if such deep thoughts about it (had they occurred) would have been on point.  I think not.

Meghan's gown was quite lovely and I thought the veil was a thoughful tribute.  I don't, however, read more into it than that.  

Esteemed Contributor

@golding76 wrote:

Some folks are attempting to derail this post with their own political agenda.  It isn't all about you.

@golding76

I agree with you, and it's a shame when that happens. I know from reading your posts that you and I have opposing political views, but our fashion viewpoints are similar.  You posted a fashion piece, and there's no need for anyone to drag political views into it one way or the other. Just sign me,

Not a Reader of WaPo, but a Lover of Fashion.  Keep on posting these interesting articles!

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Honored Contributor

Keep in mind, the new Duchess of Sussex's first priority is to have a child.  She is 36 and wants to make Harry a dad as soon as possible.  I predict she will have two.  Then it will be on to her other primary goals.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

I didn’t know who she was and thought maybe it was Robin Given, Mike Tyson’s ex wife.  I’m so embarrassed now!!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Shoes,

Thank you for your wise input.  I have another "close poster" in the TV/Movie section who pretty much sits opposite me on the political spectrum, and she and I have a wonderful time chatting.  I appreciate your honesty and your input.

I am not as clear a member of your opposing party as it might seem.  Been known to cross over and did so steadily for my district's congressman until he retired a few years ago.  What I appreciated about him was his ability to go across the aisle; that is an invaluable attribute.

Oh, and by the way, some of my BEST friends and FAVORITE relatives are my opposing viewpoint.  My beloved Matron of Honor, for instance.  I drove her crazy. 

One of my favorite jokes is this: One of my best friends at church is extremely elderly and a rabid R.  She and I agree on much but we disagree on much, too.  She never married, is very intelligent and, it goes without saying, has no children.  She began introducing me as her "adopted daughter"  (in a semi-joking fashion), to which I would quip:  God has a sense of humor.  He gave you a daughter but she is a D.     

Honored Contributor

Please excuse me for having gone political in the previous post, but I did it in the spirit of harmony and finding common ground.  It was intended to show that people are not as cleanly divided as one might choose to think.

We are all in this together, after all.

Honored Contributor

That was a fair description.

It's all about the bride, I've seen too many opinions, not just here but on social media in general, criticizing the bride's choices-- mostly from MEN.   Plus the men think all this attention to the wedding is silly.

Guess what men?  If watching a wedding puts your lady in the mood, you are missing a great opportunity to share this time in history with her. Hint, hint.   So go play golf and shut up.

It looked to me the entire affair from beginning to end was perfect, the bride didn't try to be someone she's not.    I appreciate that.