Trusted Contributor

Re: Robin Givhan on Meghan Markle's Wedding Dress - Yes, Audrey Hepburn Is Mentioned

stevieb and vsm: I disagree with your assessment of Robin Givhan's writing and her brilliant insights about fashion, the fashion industry (all the related industries, e.g. fashion magazines, bloggers, down to the people that cut and sew the fashions). Givhan writes well about fabric and the individuals that toil on the plantations and sweat shops creating those fashions.  She examines fashion as business, cultural phenomenom, distinctions based on race, class, ethnicity, etc. as well as the individuals that wear the clothing.  IMO, she is not politically correct or obsessed with race; she simply examines fashion in all of its utilitarian and esoteric functions.   Her undergraduate degree from Princeton and her graduate degree from the Universty of Michigan have served her well.  She is an astute observer of contemporary life and capable of placing those observatons in historical context.  BTW, Givhan won the Pulitzer Prize in 2006 for her writing at the Washington Post.

Respected Contributor

Re: Robin Givhan on Meghan Markle's Wedding Dress - Yes, Audrey Hepburn Is Mentioned

@MoJoV wrote:

@vsm wrote:

@steviebI can't stand Robin Givhan's columns -- for the most part, they're tired, boring, politically correct feminista tropes.  But she's right that Meghan looked stunning -- that elegant dress with the classy bateau neckline, the small and tasteful tiara, light as air train, and the understated jewelry.  Perfection!

Feminista!?!  What the what?? Is it 2018 or 1968?

You bet -- FEMINISTA is what I said and what I meant.

Respected Contributor

@golding76 wrote:

Some folks are attempting to derail this post with their own political agenda.  It isn't all about you.

D

@golding76 wrote:

Some folks are attempting to derail this post with their own political agenda.  It isn't all about you.

Different women have different opinions.  It's called diversity.

Honored Contributor

@Zernia Rose We're each allowed our perspectives. I'm sure Ms. Givhan is well prepared for her job and has certain talents. I, however, am not as appreciative of the brilliance of her insights as are you. I find the same themes tend to run through too many of her columns. While fashion as social commentary has its place, a steady diet of it isn't why I tend to read fashion columns or, as it were, to not read them... Neither of us is right and neither of us is wrong...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Trusted Contributor

stevieb- I agree with you: neither of us is right or wrong; we simply have different responses based on a multitude of factors including our gender, class, race, ethnicity, religion, age, or even the time of day.  I could be cheeky and argue that some establish "canons" that institutionize what is "the best, classic, and/or enduring," and individual opinions are not regarded. Such stances help explain why the high school English curriculum in most schools in the nation: private, public, parochial or religiously based, rural, suburban, urban, etc. assign Romeo and Juliet, Macbeth, Othello, and Julius Caeser.  Similarly, it's one reason why so many hosts on the Q talk about "crisp, white shirts, jeans, and a pop of color." Someone or ones have determined that these are exemplars, iconic.  I believe that Givhan's writing will be regarded as "classic" in much the same way that M. K. Fisher or James Beard's writings are for cuisine/cooking.  

Esteemed Contributor

@GenXmuse@  wrote:

I didn’t know who she was and thought maybe it was Robin Given, Mike Tyson’s ex wife.  I’m so embarrassed now!!

Best comment of the entire thread! Great humor. 

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Respected Contributor

@software wrote:

That was a fair description.

It's all about the bride, I've seen too many opinions, not just here but on social media in general, criticizing the bride's choices-- mostly from MEN.   Plus the men think all this attention to the wedding is silly.

Guess what men?  If watching a wedding puts your lady in the mood, you are missing a great opportunity to share this time in history with her. Hint, hint.   So go play golf and shut up.

It looked to me the entire affair from beginning to end was perfect, the bride didn't try to be someone she's not.    I appreciate that.

No, a wedding is NOT "all about the bride" -- unless she's marrying herself.