Honored Contributor

Re: Robin Givhan on Meghan Markle's Wedding Dress - Yes, Audrey Hepburn Is Mentioned

Some folks are attempting to derail this post with their own political agenda.  It isn't all about you.

Honored Contributor

Re: Robin Givhan on Meghan Markle's Wedding Dress - Yes, Audrey Hepburn Is Mentioned

@golding76 wrote:

Some folks are attempting to derail this post with their own political agenda.  It isn't all about you.

ITA

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Esteemed Contributor

@Deanie I wasn't "denigrating" the poster just the use of the word fashionista.  The Ministry of Caring obviously doesn't care about my opinion. 

Trees are the lungs of the Earth
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Back to fashion.  Between Meghan's selecting "the Audrey Hepburn" for her brow treatment, a minimalist sort of wedding dress with a bateau neckline (a neckline often worn by Audrey) and a Sabrina-like storyline in her own life, do you think it possible that Audrey Hepburn is a prominent fashion icon for Meghan? 

I do.   

Remember, Sabrina (played by Audrey) had humble beginnings but ended up marrying the scion of a wealthy family.

Image result for photo of audrey hepburn in bateau neckline

Audrey Hepburn In Sabrina (1954) Black Bateau Neck Tea Length Prom Dress

The caption above is not mine; it came with the photo.  Color dress white, give it long sleeves and length, a train -- and you have what?

Respected Contributor

It's a romantization of the dress and the occasion which is purely subjective. I see it differently.

Honored Contributor

I grant that, skuggles.  But I hope there is a germ of truth in my thoughts.

Honored Contributor

@JaneMarple wrote:

@golding76 wrote:

ITA

Not at all. The focus of the thread is an article written, as the original post says, by Robin Givhan. Some of us have merely expressed our thoughts about her writing, her views and of her column, which is so often reflective of her agenda... The comments are completely relevant to the discussion and are in no way expressive of anyone's political agenda, but are merely reflective of some of our opinions of Ms. Givhan as a columnist...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

The germ of truth in the article, in my mind, was that about  her mother who was given less attention everywhere. I thought she was one of if not the best dressed women there. The fact that she sat alone amidst but outside the largeness of royals across the way spoke of a dignity and strength, and full understanding of power. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

If this was intended purely as a fashion discussion, perhaps it might have been better placed in the fashion forum... Just a thought... 

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

skuggles,

Not the germ of the article!  The germ of what you called my "romantic" thoughts concerning the dress.

Sorry if I was not clear.