Trusted Contributor

Re: Robert Durst found guilty of first degree murder

@Mindy D I forgot the biggest thing of all.  The police never even examined the inside of the home Kathie and Bob were living in north of NYC at the time she disappeared.  Not until decades later.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@decaf @I agree with you about the door man. The door man gave three different stories. I do think Durst paid off the doorman, but my point is tha his wealth didn't make the police not suspect him. I agree that he used his wealth to get around things. 

Trusted Contributor

@Mindy D wrote:

@decaf @I agree with you about the door man. The door man gave three different stories. I do think Durst paid off the doorman, but my point is tha his wealth didn't make the police not suspect him. I agree that he used his wealth to get around things. 

@Mindy D  Their affairs, her abortion, the domestic abuse are all sad but they have nothing at all to do with the big picture, he got away with murdering his wife.

The police did not properly investigate her disappearance.  They looked the other way, gave him special treatment because of who he was, a very wealthy NYer.  A regular Joe would not have gotten away with it, even in the 1980's.

We're going to have to agree to disagree I think.

Esteemed Contributor

@decaf wrote:

@Mindy D  I disagree.  Durst paid off his doorman to say he saw Kathie in NYC and  after that the police didn't pursue it al all. Took him at their word.  No further investigation, no depositions, no grand jury, nothing.  I lived in NYC at the time, it was in the papers for a few weeks and then the news on it  was over.

His brother wasn't against him in the 1980's when Kathie disappeared, he didn't turn on Robert until the 1990's when they fought over control of their father's company. Money will do that to (some) people.

@decaf are there any news reports of him paying off his doorman?  Just because you lived in New York at the time (I did too), doesn't mean much.  He wasn't a blip on my radar.  I'd like to search for more info about it if you say this was widely reported or just speculation!?

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Respected Contributor

It's not just that the police didn't search the home, they also didn't respond to the home after two friends of Katie broken into the home looking for her. They broke in, called the police to report they illegally broken in, and no one responded. That was a clever and potentially dangerous thing to do on their part. Yet nothing became of it.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mindy D  I guess I owe you an apology of sorts. I certainly could have responded better. I'll leave it there. Carry on..