Trusted Contributor

http://www.robertburns.org

On this day in 1759, Robert Burns was born.  Scottish or not, all are familiar with his poem “Auld Lang Syne”; most with “Sweet Alton” and “My Love is like a Red red Rose”.”  One of my favourites is “John Anderson, my Jo”. 

I will celebrate with reading his poems and having a wee bit of a wonderful 40 year old single malt Scotch. (I have a bad cold so,

a spoon of Scottish heather honey followed by the scotch does help in decongesting!  Really!!) 

One of these years, I would like to go to a Burns Night Supper, have any of you? 

Honored Contributor

Thanks for writing this. 

There are several restaurants that celebrate Robert Burns Day in the area. I always said I wanted to go to one of the restaurants. You have to make reservations way ahead of time. And I have always have been too late.

Maybe I should make my calendar for next year's celebration. It is about time I tried some haggis.

Esteemed Contributor

@trenet  Hope you are feeling better and am sure your remedy will work!!   I had the pleasure of visitng Scotland a couple of years ago and absolutely fell in love.  (My dad was half Scottish)  We got to visit Robert Burns birthplace and museum.  I have not been to a Burns night supper but would love to go to one.  They have them in New Hampshire (I live in RI)  and we have gone to the Scottish festival at Loon Mtn up there.  It is so much fun.  If you haven't done a festival you need to go to one, they have many across the country.  Aye, the sound of bagpipes all day long, what could be better??!!

We are returning to Scotland in May.  Doing a small ship cruise with Tauck around the Scottish Isles.  Visiting Skye!!!  I'm a big outlander fan.......feel better and a pleasure to chat with a fellow ScotsmanSmiley Happy

Honored Contributor

How very cool, @trenet;  enjoy your "wee drop" to the hilt!  No, I've never been to one of those nights, although they sound fascinating.   It seems that those with Scots backgrounds tend to be the most involved.  The Scottish background that I have on my mother's side is all sort of diluted in the "Scotch-Irish" blend of some of my Dublin and northern Irish ancestors.   As you know, the muddied melange "Scotch-Irish" isn't quite the same as regular Scots.  Would love to claim Burns though....

@drizella, I salute you-- you are a brave woman to attempt haggis! 

Honored Contributor

Re: Robert Burns Day

[ Edited ]

@Oznell wrote:

How very cool, @trenet;  enjoy your "wee drop" to the hilt!  No, I've never been to one of those nights, although they sound fascinating.   It seems that those with Scots backgrounds tend to be the most involved.  The Scottish background that I have on my mother's side is all sort of diluted in the "Scotch-Irish" blend of some of my Dublin and northern Irish ancestors.   As you know, the muddied melange "Scotch-Irish" isn't quite the same as regular Scots.  Would love to claim Burns though....

@drizella, I salute you-- you are a brave woman to attempt haggis! 

My Dad and Brother rode bikes throughout England, Scotland and Wales. They ate haggis and lived to tell about it. I figured I could too. And I will not have to petal my way around the British Isles.

PS My Son was in a bagpipe band. The band played in Tartan Days when it was in New York City. And they were planning on going to Edinburgh for tattoo but the band folded after about 5 years.

Honored Contributor

A bagpipe band-- how terrific is that?   I love bagpipe music, so haunting and suggestive of the lonely Scottish hills...

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@trenet I LOVE "John Anderson, my Jo."  I've read it many times and always makes me cry.

Love Robbie Burns!