Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Re: Road trip to Colorado.........what are the must sees and dos?

Wow, that is scary about Vallecito.  We liked to stay at a RV park there and also a forest service campground.  I went horseback riding there once and we climbed up to a meadow where a mountain lion had been spotted, hoping to see it, but no luck.

I've driven to Silverton numerous times and it doesn't bother me .  I think Silverton to Ouray is worse, but i love that little town.  I always say Colorado's guardrail budget must be about $12./yr.

I know a Red Mt. near Lake City but doubt that's what you are referring to.  Where is your Red Mt.?  I know Lizard Head Pass.  It's a boulevard.

Did you and dh look at properties while you were in Maine?

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Highlighted
Valued Contributor

@Kachina624  The pass is part of the Million Dollar Highway (U.S. Highway 550) between Ouray and Silverton, and is also part of the San Juan Skyway Scenic Byway.  It's named after the red color to the mountain there. If you go from Silverton to ouray or visa versa you go over it.

There were hardly any campers at Vallecito.  Haven't seen it that low (the water) since the Missionary Ridge fire in 2002.  

Yes we did look look at property in Maine but didn't buy anything.  

It was a great trip.  We had great weather and stayed at the same cottage as last year.  Acadia NP was beautiful.  We stayed mostly close to the coast.  The drive across country was good.  We mostly take secondary roads to avoid traffic and we come across some beautiful scenery that way.  

The day we got to PA I told DH I can relax tonight we are out of tornado alley...well at 11pm my phone woke me up with a tornado warning.  A tornado touched down in Wilkes-Barre, Pa...close to where we were staying...DH is like don't worry go back to sleep...the next morning on the news it showed the damage there...we couldn't believe it...the weather is just crazy...

DW

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@dancingwoman.  Sounds as though you had a nice trip.  I love road trips across country.  The coast of Maine is a million miles from what you're accustomed to in Colorado.  Im sure the change of scenery was refreshing.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment