Trusted Contributor

Road trip to Colorado.........what are the must sees and dos?

We have been to Rocky Mountain National Park, and it's beautiful, but we plan on going to other places of interest throughout the state.  Any great places, shops, restaurants, etc. you would recommend we see/do?

Respected Contributor

Re: Road trip to Colorado.........what are the must sees and dos?

If they still do the train ride from Durango to Silverton, do it. Old fashioned train, beautiful backwoods scenery, a nd a day shopping and eating in an old silver mining town.

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Respected Contributor

Glenwood springs is a hot springs set in a valley between mountains.  It's also pretty close to Aspen.  Pretty drive.  Double check before coming on the Durango train.  It's been running off and on due to fires in the area.  There is a great train ride in Georgetown just off I-70 on the way to Glenwood springs.  Cute shops etc.  Have a great trip.

Contributor

The Black Canyon on the Gunnison is beautiful -- worth going over to the Western Slope and the drive over Monarch Pass is really pretty and not terribly scary.  Also Telluride is a must see even in the summer.

Respected Contributor

Celestial Seasonings tea factory in Boulder.  The mint room will clear your sinuses.  They have a great gift shop, too.  I’m assuming you got to Estes Park when you were in RNP? 

Respected Contributor

Mesa Verde National Park and tour the Anasazi indian dwellings.

Honored Contributor

@Dweezil wrote:

The Black Canyon on the Gunnison is beautiful -- worth going over to the Western Slope and the drive over Monarch Pass is really pretty and not terribly scary.  Also Telluride is a must see even in the summer.

@Dweezil.  The Western Slope is my favorite part of the state.  Even if the Durango Silverton train is not running, you can drive to Silverton, then on to Ouray which is a spectacular trip.  I am especially fond of the Lake City area...old mining town with cute old Victorian houses.  Lots to see in the area.  Great place to see Aspen leaves in late September.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Valued Contributor

Eat at Chatauqua (sp?) in Boulder, check out the Coors brewery in Golden (doesn't taste the same as what u buy in a store), Estes Park, walk around Vail village, mountain bike down the mountain, go for a gondola ride, check out Breckenridge and Dillon Reservoir, take a hike or two, go to Aspen just to see it, see the Continental divide...get a tee shirt at Beaver Liquors in Beaver Creek, just cuz it's naughty...😂😂😂

Honored Contributor

I live in Colorado Springs. The Garden of The Gods City Park is a gem and a must-see if you come here. The Royal Gorge Bridge, just outside of Canon City, is another spectacular place to see. Up north is the ever so beautiful Estes Park, where that famous hotel from the movie The Shining was filmed. If you like water, then travel to western Colorado and visit Glenwood Springs for a dip in their hotsprings pool...views are not to be missed. Colorado is a huge state and I can only give just a few good places to visit. There are so many I can't even begin to tell you about all of them. There's rafting, guided tours, hot air balloon rides, train rides, horseback riding, dirt-bike riding. It's endless. You can find just about anything to do. 

What are you looking for?

Contributor

We loved our trip to Colorado...

We stayed in Denver for a convention and then rented a car for 10 days to travel around the state....

As the other poster said, if you can,  ride the Durango & Silverton railroad...

The scenery  will take your breath away....

In the town of Durango, right down the street from the train depot, is the General Palmer Hotel..

A lovely hotel with old west charm...

There is another railroad, in the southern part of the state, called the Cumbres & Toltec, that takes you into New Mexico and back into Colorado..

It is a railroad that is not as well advertised as the Durango & Silverton, but is a scenic ride nonetheless...

Mesa Verdes was mentioned as was the Garden of the Gods..

We took a horseback ride through the Garden and it was beautiful...

Colorado Springs and the Air Force Academy should be on your list...

Colorado is a beautiful state..

We met so many East Coast transplants who swore that they would never return East...

We have been tempted!

So enjoy your trip!!!!