Trusted Contributor

Re: Road trip to Colorado.........what are the must sees and dos?

Here is a quote from the D&SNGRR site..the trip has been modified because of mudslides due to heavy rains in the fire areas..DW

"The D&SNGRR sustained severe track damage between Hermosa and Rockwood as a result of a severe thunderstorm which swept through the Four Corners area on Tuesday, July 24.

Because the aforementioned section of track cannot be used at this time, the D&SNGRR will resume passenger service with slightly modified daily excursions to the mining town of Silverton.

Amended Schedule

There will be two daily train excursions to Silverton beginning Sat. July 28. Guests will be transported from the Durango depot via Highway 550 past the damaged section of track to the railroad's Rockwood station just north of Durango where they will board the train. The train will depart from Rockwood to Silverton and then return to Rockwood and Durango in the same manner. This modified trip includes the iconic Horseshoe Curve, High Bridge and all of the Animas River gorge including the spectacular views from the High Line. These amended trips will remain in place through at least Saturday, September 15, while the track repairs are ongoing and other erosion prevention structures are installed.

Guests booked on the 8:00 a.m. train will now depart the Durango depot on the 8:00 a.m. bus, and guests on the 8:45 a.m. train will now leave the depot on the 9:30 a.m. bus. During this time, the railroad will not operate bus service to Silverton. For those passengers who booked bus service to or from Silverton, the railroad will convert their excursions to round-trip train service. The layover in Silverton will be 2.25 hours."

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

I will say because of the fires and mudslides tourism in Durango is down...but...it's a plus to anyone coming to town...it's not as crowded..the restaurants have less wait time...the roads aren't as crazy....it's actually the best time to come visit....DW

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

The road from Ouray to Silverton is called the Million Dollar Highway for a reason.  We drove the entire distance from Durango to Silverton and also did the train on another trip.  I liked the road trip the best.  The area around Gunnison is also worth seeing.   I think Maroon Bells just north of Aspen is another great spot.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I love Estes Park, CO, where the Stanley Hotel has a nice dining room.  This is where "The Shining" was filmed. Elk.  Estes Park has multiple, happy looking Elk. I love Telluride, CO, too, because when I was there a while ago there were really nice antique shops.

ETA:  And Colorado Springs, the awe-inspiring Garden of the Gods.

Honored Contributor

If you drive to the summit of Pikes Peak, nice road btw, you can actually see Kansas from up there and if you drink a six-pack of beer at that altitude you might not remember the view...LOL!Woman LOL

Honored Contributor

I love Estes Park. Elk walking down the streets of town, like they own the place. 😂
Honored Contributor

@dancingwoman.  Wouldn't you hate to be the person who has to drive a big bus over that road to Silverton?

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Colorado has a wide variety of weather conditions all year long. If you are going to be spending time outdoors, especially at the higher elevations, bring a warm jacket. It snowed on Pikes Peak yesterday and they had to shorten the foot race up the mountain because of it. 

Trusted Contributor

@Kachina624 you know the drive to Silverton from Durango isn't that bad....we are used to it...but...driving a bus full of people is another story all together....

Its going  over Red Mountain and especially back that gets to me...we've done it hundreds of times...and it still gets to me a little..

DH and I always say can you imagine the fear of those people driving those humongous motor homes for the first time over the passes.  We have friends that have a fifth wheel...they've lived in Colorado for over 40 yrs and 4 wheeled extensively...they won't go over Red Mountain in it...they take Lizard Head...so tourists gotta be peeing their pants...

Colorado is a beautiful state....if only we could get some rain...or snow...DH and I took a drive to Vallecito and Lemon reservoirs and they are scary empty.  You can walk across at some places...hopefully we'll get some moisture this winter....DW

Honored Contributor

Wow, that is scary about Vallecito.  We liked to stay at a RV park there and also a forest service campground.  I went horseback riding there once and we climbed up to a meadow where a mountain lion had been spotted, hoping to see it, but no luck.

I've driven to Silverton numerous times and it doesn't bother me .  I think Silverton to Ouray is worse, but i love that little town.  I always say Colorado's guardrail budget must be about $12./yr.

I know a Red Mt. near Lake City but doubt that's what you are referring to.  Where is your Red Mt.?  I know Lizard Head Pass.  It's a boulevard.

Did you and dh look at properties while you were in Maine?

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment