Frequent Contributor

Re: Rmember when you first heard that Elvis had died - 39 years ago today?

Yes, I remember.  My husband was with a large newspaper in a city.  We went in the afternoon to put newspapers in the for sale boxes and each box we came to had a large crowd waiting for the papers.  I have always remembered the day very much for that reason.

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

I really never understood the appeal of that man ... which is probably why I don't even remember when he died.

He was one of those celebrities people put on a pedestal, and I think the illusion of Elvis far outweighed the actual person.

Sorry @Tinkrbl44,

Though we agree on many things, this is not one of them. Elvis was not "put on a pedestal", he was born poor and he had to work hard for a long time(remember the American dream way) before he gained his fame. Some celebs are there because of their last names, not for any work they have ever done.

Elvis served his years in the United States Army, and right into the time he was moving upwards in his career. Did he claim to be a religious "Conscientious Objector" to escape the draft? No he did not, but many other bigger names did. What, THEM big names being ordered around by lowly p on's? They were no more than I am when it comes to religious, I see myself finding my own places of worship, affiliated with no particular group.

Elvis did not make hundreds of Gospel songs just to kill time. He used to get together with J.D. Sumner, after the concerts, and guess which songs they sang? This was to give thanks to "his Lord", for allowing him to still be able to make many followers have a much happier day?

He was known for giving new Cadillacs to people he didn't even know. He was/is much more than a celebrity put on a pedestal or an "illusion" to people of all ages, even to this day.

Ending with, I'm sorry we differ on this, but to me Elvis worked hard to gain his place high in Music History.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

No but I was 17 and Elvis was fat and out of shape and the butt of comedian' s jokes by then.  I was not a fan.  I didn't know much about him when he died.  I didn't know what huge star he was and his impact on music until much later.  

Honored Contributor

Re: Rec: Rmember when you first heard that Elvis had died - 39 years ago today?

@gmkb

Did you know he had a Step- Brother, named David Stanley, who is still living? He has a book out called:. " My Brother Elvis: His Final Years".

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

And @songbird,

"Boo" to you too. 😥

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

@hckynut wrote:

@gmkb

Did you know he had a Step- Brother, named David Stanley, who is still living? He has a book out called:. " My Brother Elvis: His Final Years".

hckynut(john)

@hckynut  No I did not know that about him.  Always enjoy your posts.

Trusted Contributor

I had just started a Fed. Govt. job as word processor and my new boss told our group she heard the news.  I was not a fan until a few years ago after I read about his life and how he wanted to change his career, into serious acting.  He was going to be in Midnight Cowboy!  And A Star is Born with Ms. Streisand!  She wanted HIM.  But the Colonel said NO.  Can you imagine??  No wonder he went off the deep end.

Honored Contributor

IMO, the Colonel did damage to EP and his life, in numerous ways.  Smiley Sad

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

Very young when he died but knew  who he was through his movies. Use to stay up late on Friday night to see if one came on or either a spooky movie. To this day he was the sexiest man ever to walk the Earth. Could sing anything . Would love to send many of the so called "singers" of today  or my generation back and have Elvis return in shape and healthy to stay with us forever. Generous, humorous, looked sexy, talked and sang sexy. Elvis was it baby!!

Honored Contributor

I was 14 and while I wasn't that much of a fan (I didn't hate him or anything) I remember being so surprised that he passed.  Back then you didn't have all the press up in people's business so hearing this kind of news was a shocker.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise