Honored Contributor

Re: Rmember when you first heard that Elvis had died - 39 years ago today?

This got me to thinking,about that day,you know i realize that was my first  time to experience grief, many more  experiences to come in my life ,of knowing that pain.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

I don't remember where I was.  I have never understood the appeal of Elvis - still don't.  I have a friend with plans of going to Graceland and that I don't understand either.  Oh well, everyone is different.  

Honored Contributor

goldensrbest wrote:

Deeva wrote:

I don't remember that day at all. Never understood the appeal or the people who are still fascinated with him.

Elvis had it all,the voice,the looks, he was kind to people,he could sing,gospel, rock a billy, rock and roll, act.My favorite gospel song is by him,HOW GREAT THOU ART.

You know I'm non-religious, but still - His rendition of that song is just positively brilliant and the best use of his voice ever.    It's stunningly beautiful.

Honored Contributor

goldensrbest wrote:

Yes, we were living in Alabama, my husband was in the air force,elvis had come that year for a concert,i so wanted to go, but we could not afford two tickets, he had always been my heart throb, when other girls were crazy for the Beatles,and other groups ,mine was elvis, i never got to see him, i cried for a better part of a week.

You reminded me of a women I knew at that time.  She was just such a massive Elvis fan and always wanted to go to one of his concerts.  But her husband would never let it happen for the same reason - the cost.

Well, FF to when Elvis died.   She was so distraught but not only that - she wouldn't speak to her husband for a week!  She was so mad at him because she never got to go to a concert and now he's dead.  We all thought that wasn't going to end well but they were ok in the end.  Smiley Happy

Valued Contributor

I was in high school and was working at my part time job which was a lot like a walgreens with many different departments. A lady came thru my check stand and had many Elvis albums. Another lady said to her "You must really be a fan" and the 1st lady said "Didn't you hear? He died today" I thought the 2nd lady was going to pass out in my lane and she ran off to the record dept. I have never cared for him either. But there are many singers I do like and will probably feel the same when they pass.

cookin

Honored Contributor

@DiAnne wrote:

I don't remember where I was.  I have never understood the appeal of Elvis - still don't.  I have a friend with plans of going to Graceland and that I don't understand either.  Oh well, everyone is different.  

I understand.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

I got to go to Graceland some 8 or so years ago and am really glad I finally got to see it.  Oddly, especially for a 'mansion' the house didn't feel all that huge.   Everything seemed so bunched together to me.  But it was a pretty cool tour.  I took so many pictures I was in pain for a week!  But it was worth it.  Smiley Happy

Seeing the graves over there on the side was so sad.  Smiley Sad   

Respected Contributor

WOW I can't believe it's been 39 years 

I was in the living room watching TV the news broke through with the announcement. I was a teenager and felt so sad, he was amazing! 

Valued Contributor

Hey Minky - long time no see.  Hope all is well with you and yours.

I was never a fan of Elvis so why I remember where I was and what I was doing when I heard he had passed remains a mystery but for what it's worth, I was at my stove frying chicken cutlets for dinner when the news bulletin came on announcing Elvis's death.  

Thirty nine years ago?  OMG, where have the years gone?

Maria

Respected Contributor

I remember exactly where I was (which is hard for me to believe that I remember that far back).  I was out with a guy pal having a drink.

At that time I really wasn't a fan of Elvis.  The glitzy outfits and gyrations didn't appeal to me.

Years later I came to have a real appreciation of his talent.  

I just went to listen to American Triology (at RolllingStone) and it still gives me chills.