Esteemed Contributor

Re: Rmember when you first heard that Elvis had died - 39 years ago today?

[ Edited ]

I do remember ... very clearly, because we were in Memphis at the time, having breakfast at a local restaurant ... as we were passing through on our way to California.  

Not being an Elvis fan, I couldn't believe how the folks were taking the news ... you'd have thought the president had died.

Respected Contributor

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

@SeaMaiden wrote:

for some reason his death just never was a memorable moment for me. I was not into him... I just remember an old fading fat bloated singer on stage. I was about 17 when he died.

It had zero impact on my life, too, and that is how I remember him also. I was 6 when he passed.

Zero impact on me too.  Saw him in Ft Worth in the 70s.  He was a big sweaty mess.  Never really got him.  But one of my brothers thought i did and would give me his records.  Now i think he was a gorgeous young man and his formulaic movies are cute.  Particularly enjoy Viva Las Vegas with Ann Margaret.

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

for some reason his death just never was a memorable moment for me. I was not into him... I just remember an old fading fat bloated singer on stage. I was about 17 when he died.

I agree with your comments.  And I was the same age as you when he died.

Respected Contributor

I don't remember that day at all. Never understood the appeal or the people who are still fascinated with him.

Honored Contributor

I had just come back to work, after lunch, and one of the others also was coming back from his lunch hour.  He said he heard it on his car radio.  None of us believed it really happened.  

Honored Contributor

Yes, we were living in Alabama, my husband was in the air force,elvis had come that year for a concert,i so wanted to go, but we could not afford two tickets, he had always been my heart throb, when other girls were crazy for the Beatles,and other groups ,mine was elvis, i never got to see him, i cried for a better part of a week.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Respected Contributor

I only remember that he died in August because it was my friend's birthday.  I never paid much attention to him.  When I got older and saw a movie or clips of him singing, I could understood why so many women loved him - he was pretty hot lol

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@deeva wrote:

I don't remember that day at all. Never understood the appeal or the people who are still fascinated with him.

Elvis had it all,the voice,the looks, he was kind to people,he could sing,gospel, rock a billy, rock and roll, act.My favorite gospel song is by him,HOW GREAT THOU ART.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Trusted Contributor

We got to see him in concert in Virginia when my husband was stationed there in the Navy (think it was 1971).  He was overweight and bloaty, but his voice was good and I'm glad I got to see him.  We are going to Nashville/Memphis this week and will defintely go to Graceland!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Yes, I remember exactly where I was at that time. Was working out at a health spa after getting off work. Had seen him earlier that month on his concert tour. That tour was being recorded, by I believe CBS for an Elvis special show.

Think I have every Gospel album he made. Sad day for his millions of fans.

hckynut(john)