Honored Contributor

Re: Rmember when you first heard that Elvis had died - 39 years ago today?

Respected Contributor

@hckynut

One of my favorite songs Elvis sang was "If every day was like Christmas", lyrics below.  It is hard to find a decent recording to listen to.

I hear the bells
Saying Christmas is near
They ring out to tell the world
That this is the season of cheer

I hear a choir
Singing sweetly somewhere
And a glow fills my heart
I'm at peace with the world
As the sound of their singing fills the air

Oh why can't every day be like Christmas
Why can't that feeling go on endlessly
For if everyday could be just like Christmas
What a wonderful world this would be

I hear a child
Telling Santa what to bring
And a smile upon his tiny face
Is worth more to me than anything

Oh why can't every day be like Christmas
Why can't that feeling go on endlessly
For if everyday could be just like Christmas
What a wonderful world this would be

and then there's  I Cant Help Falling In Love With You.

Beautiful love song.  Special meaning as this was my brother and SIL's song for their wedding dance.

Wise men say only fools rush in
But i can't help falling in love with you

Shall i stay
Would it be a sin
If i can't help falling in love with you

Like a river flows surely to the sea
Darling so it goes
Some things are meant to be

Take my hand, take my whole life, too
For i can't help falling in love with you

Esteemed Contributor

We were on a family vacation to Manchester, Vermont. It was one of our favorite places to take our kids. They loved it too. However, when we turned on the TV and discovered Elvis had died, it felt like the end of an era. My earliest memories of his music came flooding back. When Elvis first gained fame, almost all the parents were appalled, except for my friend Jeanne's. Her mother loved him. I'd go over to Jeanne's house, her mother would put on her Elvis records, and we'd dance all afternoon.

Respected Contributor

One thing I haven't read on here is that Elvis was only 42 years old when he died. Yes, he gained a lot of weight and yes he wore a lot of glitz when he did his Vega shows, but it's like another M. Jackson. Too many drugs and it took it's toll on his heart. I wasn't the biggest fan, but I did enjoy his movies and music. 

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Judaline wrote:

This was my Elvis

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLsFL0gkkKI

Judaline, thanks so much for posting this video.  When thinking about Elvis, this is the way I want to remember him as well.  The Comeback Special in 1968 was a great show and I remember watching it live on TV as a young girl.

I also remember when he passed away, and how shocked so many in my community were at his sudden death.  I remember my Dad saying that Elvis was one of a kind - there was no one like him before and there will be no one like him after.  We all especially felt bad for Elvis' daughter, Lisa Marie, growing up without her Dad.

True story - one of my former neighbors bought tickets to the Elvis concert that was to be at Nassau Coliseum in Long Island on August 22, 1977.  I remember seeing the tickets for the concert that never was - it was a little eerie.

Honored Contributor

@Leeny He wasn't always overweight, as the video attests to. It was 1968 and, oh, yeah, it was a very good year. In the 50's he had his best music but not many will agree, and he wasn't dramatic, except for the legs and the refusing to show him from the waist down on the Ed Sullivan Show. Fools!

Respected Contributor

I was 12 years old on vaction with my family in Alaska and we were going to fly to Maui next. When I sat in my seat  on the plane  there was a newspaper left that showed a big photo and the caption read ELVIS IS DEAD! I always wish I kept that paper.

Sleep sweet Bo 3/19/08 8/4/18
Respected Contributor

@Judaline

Oh I know he wasn't always over weight. He was quite slender in the 50's and 60's. It was later on that he put that weight on. He was really judged by that too.  I remember him quite well, after all I am in my 60's. 

Super Contributor

Was working at a Woolworth store. The manager was a big of Elvis.