Esteemed Contributor

Re: Riverside residents say Halloween decorations go too far

@PeterDM wrote:

@ladyroxanne wrote:

@PeterDM  i agree with what you are saying, but look at cable tv and all i see are horror movies  i don't watch them if i can help it, but there are so many and i'm sure that one is worse than the other.  you can't say that they don't desensitize people to violence.

@ladyroxanne What's worse is that these movies are rated PG-13.  If a movie shows a half of a breast, or is deemed to show something too se*ually suggestive, it gets an "R" rating.  

I could not agree with you more. Americans seem more upset about a child seeing a naked body but violence is no problem. How messed up is that?

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Esteemed Contributor

uNless they live under the rules of a Home Owners Association or there are any local regulations prohibiting such displays these people are entitled to put whatever they want on their property.  If their neighbor's find it offensive and I would agree that they are I would suggest that the neighbor's express their distaste by picketing the house on the public sidewalk which allows them to give voice to their objections in a acceptable and legal forum.

Valued Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

LOL!!!  I have a copy of the Constitution on my desk and it has been there for 40 years, and is well worn to settle disputes around the water cooler.  

It is not a free country.  You have rights within the laws.  Read it again, and the amendments.

This is the mantra of people who have the ENTITLEMENT mentality. They think they can do anything they want to with ZERO concern about anyone but themselves.

Honored Contributor

My personal preference is (tasteful, understated) fall decor. Our 4 Grands love lots of Halloween stuff, the tackier the better!

Esteemed Contributor

@PeterDM Sorry, I meant IrishGirl. 

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Esteemed Contributor

IRISH GIRL See post 27. 

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Esteemed Contributor

@Puzzle Piece wrote:

@Irshgrl31201 The vandals at my home were teens.  Others saw them and let us know.  You go on and on.  It's just a post.  My take and that's that. 

Other ladies of faith actually asked me not to do Halloween as they had their beliefs.  Now, what would you say about that?

Sorry you felt I went "on and on". I just think no matter what you may not like about neighbors decorations it doesn't give a person the right to take it into their own hands. PERIOD. If they are that upsetting one should settle in civilly. Call the police, etc... There is never ever a reason to think it is ok to take it into your hands. As for ladies of faith, if they choose not to decorate that is totally up to them but they would know better than to ask me not to. If you are ok with that, great. 

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I watched the Texas Chainsaw   Massacre on TV yesterday......now the dolls seem tame....what a horrible movie! I could not stop watching it.....Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

@June222 wrote:

I watched the Texas Chainsaw   Massacre on TV yesterday......now the dolls seem tame....what a horrible movie! I could not stop watching it.....Smiley Happy

I watched it too yesterday! It is a scary movie and I happen to love scary movies but I will never watch that movie if I am home alone. 

JFK
Valued Contributor

Adults ruined Halloween for me when they ruined it for little kids.  My own daughter is 25 now but when she was little the gory, grisly, bloodly decorations just made her miserable.  I'd have her close her eyes when we passed by a particular house that was on our way home.  Kids have a fine line between imagination and reality, which is what makes Santa so magical, and monsters so real.  

I'm not in favor of laws that force people to do anything.  I just wish people could exercise a little consideration about the sort of decorations they place facing the street.  If you must have this sort of stuff out, couldn't you at least enjoy it in your back yard rather than on the street side?

I seem to remember one year a student hung himself on Halloween and people passed by, thinking his body was a decoration.   If a reasonable person cannot tell the difference between reality and decor, you've taken it too far.  Smiley Sad