Trusted Contributor

Risk reduction strategies PDF for reopening schools

I was looking to see what other countries were doing with regard to (safety procedures followed) when opening schools and found this PDF for those who may be interested.

https://schools.forhealth.org/wp-content/uploads/sites/19/2020/06/Harvard-Healthy-Buildings-Program-...

Do the math.
Super Contributor

Re: Risk reduction strategies PDF for reopening schools

@MarieIG  Thanks for posting.  I've saved and will review this evening.

Honored Contributor

MarielG,

Thank you.  I cursorily read the first few pages and will read the entire document at another time.

My gut reaction was that desipite best practices, nothing will harness this wild virus.  If it wants to ride roughshod over our general health, our plans for our children's future, our hopes and dreams, it will.

May we be protected and this unpredictable and deleterious virus fizzle out --- soon.

Honored Contributor

It appears to be a thoughtful document, and elaborates on the many-pronged approaches that re-opening schools around the world have implemented, that were recently described in the re-opening article in "Science" magazine.

Staying flexible and responding to different conditions were the hallmarks of successful re-openings in countries that had been hard-hit with the pandemic.

Hubby and I have high-risk factors, but we're very much hoping for a return to in-person classroom instruction for our son, who lives with us.  He's in his second year of a vocational/technical program, for which "hands-on" learning is important, and lost several months of training to the shutdown. 

My personality is always to be super "risk-averse" and cautious-- nevertheless, I believe that sensible, data-based strategies for re-opening should be implemented, always taking the locality's particular circumstances into account.  Many educational institutions have been studying and planning for the best ways to do that for some time. 

Honored Contributor

@Oznell wrote:

It appears to be a thoughtful document, and elaborates on the many-pronged approaches that re-opening schools around the world have implemented, that were recently described in the re-opening article in "Science" magazine.

Staying flexible and responding to different conditions were the hallmarks of successful re-openings in countries that had been hard-hit with the pandemic.

Hubby and I have high-risk factors, but we're very much hoping for a return to in-person classroom instruction for our son, who lives with us.  He's in his second year of a vocational/technical program, for which "hands-on" learning is important, and lost several months of training to the shutdown. 

My personality is always to be super "risk-averse" and cautious-- nevertheless, I believe that sensible, data-based strategies for re-opening should be implemented, always taking the locality's particular circumstances into account.  Many educational institutions have been studying and planning for the best ways to do that for some time. 

Oh, if was truly the case  @Oznell.  Unfortunately, at least for most public schools, they woefully unprepared. No wonder that we are at the deadline now for schools starting up again, and it's still unclear as to what will happen.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

There is no hope the virus will fizzle out while hosts are still available.  We will have to actively fight back to end this virus.

Did you see the report on CNN today that children who show symptoms end up in the ICU as often as adults who get sick?  So sad--children in ICU.

I saw this head of this Harvard dept. interviewed and he says it will take a lot of $ to retrofit our schools to get the air systems right.

These suggestions sound good, except we will struggle if we don't get more of those $1 rapid tests in place and test frequently.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@KarenQVC 

I had seen a good Medcram video (#98) explaining the use for the (I'm calling them "cheap") paper tests; and why in his opinion it would be beneficial.  I liked the video because it explained the science behind it.  The tests are not as sensitive as the FDA approved tests, but there was the opinion that they could be so prevalent that they would catch much more positives (those with a high viral) which would not otherwise be found. 

I tried to link it here but the video was no longer available. 

No, I did not see the CNN video, but if a child had symptoms, it is not unreasonable to take them to the hospital.  I took ME to the hospital back in March when NYS protocol was advising it was not necessary and I should have stayed home (and was admitted for a week.) Did CNN give an admission rate by age and outcomes? 

Edited 

Do the math.
Respected Contributor

@MarieIG If your child were ill you might take them to the ER.  The hospital would have to admit them to the ICU.

Trusted Contributor

@KarenQVC wrote:

@MarieIG If your child were ill you might take them to the ER.  The hospital would have to admit them to the ICU.

@KarenQVC  Yes, you are correct about that.  And kudos to the staff for giving such attention and care to their little patients. 

Do the math.
Trusted Contributor

Found the Medcram video regarding cheap (less sensitive) paper tests and possible uses.

https://video.search.yahoo.com/search/video?fr=mcafee&p=medcram+coronavirus+update+youtube+98#id=1&v...

Do the math.