Honored Contributor

@ROMARY wrote:

I still often think about them slaughtering the endangered cheetah at the opening ceremony.   Makes me sick; and no, I could not be paid enough to attend.  ('Goes to show us' that not all countries have our (US's) best interests in mind.)  I'm guessing that many of our athletes were 'turned off' by that pre-planned move.) Allegedly, Imo

@ROMARY  It was a jaguar and it was not killed at the opening ceremony.  It was used at the ceremony but shot for other reasons at a zoo later on.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

@Shawnie wrote:

@ROMARY wrote:

I still often think about them slaughtering the endangered cheetah at the opening ceremony.   Makes me sick; and no, I could not be paid enough to attend.  ('Goes to show us' that not all countries have our (US's) best interests in mind.)  I'm guessing that many of our athletes were 'turned off' by that pre-planned move.) Allegedly, Imo

What?  Killed a cheetah?

@Shawnie

It was a jaguar, I believe. Smiley Sad

Esteemed Contributor

I wish they would move all the water sports (not pool) to another venue, another country.  It would be tragic to see an athlete lose their health in Rio.  The water is really, really suspect. 

Respected Contributor

Sounds like a real train wreck.

I hope they get it together somehow.

I think the athletes villiage might be okay but it's the people that come to see the games are sitting ducks for everything.

Esteemed Contributor

I really...really fear for the athletes and their fans...

Trusted Contributor

Hearing about the horrible conditions of this years venues, I am glad I don't watch the Olympics.  Full disclosure, I did watch Russia's Opening and Closing ceremonies.  They actually did an AWESOME job.

Honored Contributor

Some of that money should be used to help the people in poverty.  We've been donating money to everyone, it seems, and the poor people are still in the same conditions. ............ And, thanks for clearing up the Cheetah/Jaquar situation.  I guess I read all of the news (now rumors) in the beginning and didn't keep updated. 

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

In General, allegedly: I wish that more people would stop and think about the possibility that some/'other' countries just don't care about us over here.  If we think about that, why would we want to be a part of some type of 'one world', 'global' situation?  I like the idea of independent thinking and governing, and not being governed by people from who knows where telling us how to live in our own country.  Being dependent on others isn't my cup of tea, so to speak.  Well, it's just a thought; some of our walkers around the neighborhood are often mentioning this, and it's something that I've now been thinking about lately.  Kind of  'light bulb' moments that I've been pondering.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

We have always watched the Olympics. (and attended Atlanta and Salt Lake City)

Every night last week I watched the swimming qualfications for our team.  Seeing the enthusiasm of the young first times Olympians and the older, returning Olympians leaves me in tears. 

I pray everyone is safe.

Go USA.

Super Contributor

Something like Switzerland or Sweden could hold the wintergames  and the summer games could be in Atlanta or Greece. Basically have a perrmanent venue for the games, but still have a "host" country for the opening ceremony. You wouldn't have to worry if venues would be built on time or if security would be in check etc.