Honored Contributor
Respected Contributor

Re: Rio declares a financial emergency

Respected Contributor

@truffle wrote:

Maybe Shakira who is worth over $200 million will help them.  She is married to a pro soccer player from Spain.  Plenty of very wealthy individuals out there...we'll see. 

Shakira is Colombian!!

Respected Contributor

@AKgirl2 wrote:

@truffle wrote:

Maybe Shakira who is worth over $200 million will help them.  She is married to a pro soccer player from Spain.  Plenty of very wealthy individuals out there...we'll see. 

Shakira is Colombian!!

Yes, she is and this has already been mentioned.  I will repeat for you that she takes up many causes all throughout South America.  

Respected Contributor

If Rio is uninhabitable for visitors then it is for residents as well.  Maybe we should airlift all who want refugee status to the United States and call for other countries to make the same offer.  We in the United States are after all a humanitarian country.  

Respected Contributor

@truffle wrote:

If Rio is uninhabitable for visitors then it is for residents as well.  Maybe we should airlift all who want refugee status to the United States and call for other countries to make the same offer.  We in the United States are after all a humanitarian country.  

On my goodness. This thread is getting ridiculous. 

Esteemed Contributor

@KathyPet- I agree and Greece (Athens) or Italy (Rome) would be my suggestion.  

Esteemed Contributor

We had a Zika infected baby born in our local hospital....scary 

Esteemed Contributor

@KathyPet wrote:

Obviously Greece is the only choice for a permanent home for the Summer Olympics but the site,for the winter games would be up for grabs.  My husband and I,were  in Athens a couple of years after the last Olympics were held there and took a guided tour.  One of the stops was the Olympic venues.  I was shocked to see acre after acre of parking lots and field houses and stadiums sitting there empty and unused.  It looked like a ghost town.  Our guide said the only venue that gets any use was the soccer stadium and the only occasionally for a really important game.  Then I understood why Greece was in such financial trouble.

@KathyPet- I say Italy for the winter! 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@FUTURE wrote:

@truffle wrote:

On my goodness. This thread is getting ridiculous. 

Hardly!  It is cruel and unjust to say to the citizens of Rio that they are well suited to live in a substandard dangerous environment while we will not visit because conditions are so deplorable.