Respected Contributor

Rio declares a financial emergency

[ Edited ]

"Rio de Janeiro's governor declared a state of financial emergency Friday and requested federal funds to help fulfill obligations for public services during the Olympics that start Aug. 5.

Emergency measures are needed to avoid "a total collapse in public security, health, education, transport and environmental management," a decree in the state's Official Gazette said."

Apparently they could not afford the brib they gave the Olympic committee to get the Olympics Smiley Surprised

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Rio declares a financial emergency

Met a gal whose husband provided certain equipement for those games in the past.  She let me know it's all bribes.  Figures.

Now, today more than ever, good security is at a premium.  You can bet there are some kooks out there who will look for weaknesses in security to pull off some scheme.  Personally, I don't know why those games are so popular or even given the fan fare they are given.  Must be because so many stand to profit from them.   

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Honored Contributor

I still say shut 'er down.  Don't even hold the Olympics there due to the zika outbreak.  I know if I were an athlete, medals or not, no way would I be going especially if I were a young woman still wanting to eventually give birth to children.  But then  young men also need to be concerned because the virus stays in them for a long time, months, that they can pass to a woman.

They (Rio govt) think they can hold such a world-wide event in order to boost their economy to revitalize their country they're sadly mistaken. 

Honored Contributor

Hopefully this will make the World slowly realize

what a complete waste of time & money (even bribe $)

the Summer/Winter Olympics are. 

Make.It.Go.Away. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Rio state government declares financial disaster as Olympics loom

This article even says, "Some police stations are so underfunded that they have asked neighbors to donate basic items like toilet paper."

Edited to repair broken link. 

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Honored Contributor

ugh

such a waste of money

they should be held in a place that has the infrastructure existing not a place like Rio

and with Zika should cancel

Respected Contributor

I feel bad for the athletes that train for these games.

Honored Contributor

Something like 50 days away now. And now the Russians aren't going to be able to compete in Track and Field at all and may forgo all Olympic sports just out of protest?! So many of the golfers pulled out of the Olympics too. And then the Zika virus (234 pregnant women in the US are confirmed with Zika now too, btw)!?

Ugh, this Ollympics is going to be a disaster..

Respected Contributor

No surprise on this one!

"Cats are poetry in motion. Dogs are gibberish in neutral." -Garfield
Respected Contributor

As a teenager, I used to look forward to the Olympics every four years. Now, it's become so corrupt and political that I don't enjoy watching anymore. Such a shame for the hardworking athletes who follow the rules.