Esteemed Contributor

Re: Rio declares a financial emergency

@momtochloe wrote:

If there is any (and I do mean any) good that comes out of this mess is that the same steps need to be taken with the Olympic committee similiar to those taken with FIFA.

Enough with the bribes, let the athletes compete and shine!

I completely agree. So sick of seeing these athletes who put so much hard work into this for years to be the ones that suffer!

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Honored Contributor

I don't see how they can go on with it now.  Aside from Zika, they found a superbug, resistant to all antibiotics we have, at the majority of areas where the events will be held.

If there's a breakout of any kind, they won't be able to handle it.

Honored Contributor

@Tyak wrote:

The olympics have proven to be a financial bust to most cities that host them, so it's not like Rio didn't know what they were getting into.  No sympathy from me.  Let 'em deal with it.  Maybe somebody there at least learned something from this debacle.

@Tyak if I have any sympathies it is for the athletes that continuously train and focus on the next set of games.  These folks have been sold out by the Olympic committee and I pray that this will be the final debacle that will reset the dial and return the focus on the athletes themselves and not how well the Olympic committee is treated during the selection process.

Respected Contributor

@momtochloe wrote:

@Tyak wrote:

The olympics have proven to be a financial bust to most cities that host them, so it's not like Rio didn't know what they were getting into.  No sympathy from me.  Let 'em deal with it.  Maybe somebody there at least learned something from this debacle.

@Tyak if I have any sympathies it is for the athletes that continuously train and focus on the next set of games.  These folks have been sold out by the Olympic committee and I pray that this will be the final debacle that will reset the dial and return the focus on the athletes themselves and not how well the Olympic committee is treated during the selection process.

At this point what with the potentional health problems that could happen, the athletes would be doing themselves a favor by skipping it.

Honored Contributor

@momtochloe wrote:

If there is any (and I do mean any) good that comes out of this mess is that the same steps need to be taken with the Olympic committee similiar to those taken with FIFA.

Enough with the bribes, let the athletes compete and shine!

If you lie down with dogs, you get up with fleas.

Unfortunately, the majority of athletes are lying down with the dogs. 

Your feet can't be that close to the fire & not get burned.

(Lots of metaphors!)

As much as people like to think Olympic athletes are the 'little unknown' that walked 20 miles uphill both ways to go to 3am practices (que the music swelling in the background), today's athletes are a WELL-oiled Business Machine.   They will do ANYthing for themselves and/or their sponsors to make money...lots & lots of money.

Honored Contributor

Over the past year and a half, as the Games are getting closer, it's become almost a "what next?" sad comedy of errors. It's a disaster waiting to happen for many reasons. I just hope the athletes are safe from harm, be it terrorists, Zika, dirty water or anything else.

As for Rio - there IS a limit to bail-outs, especially those made necessary by corruption & mismanagement. They've made their bed, now let them lie in it, on the World stage.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Respected Contributor

@PINKdogWOOD wrote:

I still say shut 'er down.  Don't even hold the Olympics there due to the zika outbreak.  I know if I were an athlete, medals or not, no way would I be going especially if I were a young woman still wanting to eventually give birth to children.  But then  young men also need to be concerned because the virus stays in them for a long time, months, that they can pass to a woman.

They (Rio govt) think they can hold such a world-wide event in order to boost their economy to revitalize their country they're sadly mistaken. 

They won't even get enough money to repay their massive debts. . .

Esteemed Contributor

The State Dept. has put out a warning for those traveling to Europe. They should put out one for Rio, also. Super bacteria is added to Zika. All kind of violence. Dirty Sewage where the games will be. It goes on and on. They must have been asleep when they chose Rio. I wouldn't go near Rio. 

Honored Contributor

Antibiotic-resistant ‘super bacteria’ found in Rio Olympic venues, main beaches

Highly dangerous and drug-resistant super bacteria have been found in major beaches and venues that will host swimming, canoe and rowing events at the 2016 Summer Olympics in Rio de Janeiro, studies seen by Reuters say.

The contamination of one of the most populous cities in Brazil is a result of improper sanitation, according to Renata Picao from the Federal University of Rio de Janeiro who led the study.

The research identified the super bug as Klebsiella pneumoniae carbapenemase, a highly drug-resistant bacilli that causes infections associated with significant mortality.

https://www.rt.com/news/346213-rio-olympic-venues-superbug/

Esteemed Contributor

Obviously Greece is the only choice for a permanent home for the Summer Olympics but the site,for the winter games would be up for grabs.  My husband and I,were  in Athens a couple of years after the last Olympics were held there and took a guided tour.  One of the stops was the Olympic venues.  I was shocked to see acre after acre of parking lots and field houses and stadiums sitting there empty and unused.  It looked like a ghost town.  Our guide said the only venue that gets any use was the soccer stadium and the only occasionally for a really important game.  Then I understood why Greece was in such financial trouble.