Esteemed Contributor

Re: Rio declares a financial emergency

I just don't see at this time how on earth they actually think that they can go on with this Olympics. Not only is the site itself not complete, not only can they not guarantee hospital emergency services and security for that event, but they have the zika virus and polluted waters for their water sports. This is only the tip of the iceberg. Brazil has been in a desperate financial situation for decades. How on earth did they think they could actually pull off something this big and astronomically expensive? It boggles the mind.

Honored Contributor

Maybe they can start a Go Fund Me account (said sarcastically).  Everyone else seems to.  

Esteemed Contributor

This entire business of moving these games between countries simply has to stop.  There needs to be a permanent home for both the summer and winter games where the venues can be used over and over again not forcing the host countries to spend millions of dollars to build these stadiums that then sit empty and deteriorating when the games end.  Yes the Olympics provide short term employment for citizens while the venues are being constructed but the ordinary citizen does not benefit from them.  The profits go to hotels, restaurants etc and only while the games are in progress.  After they are over ordinary citizens are stuck with the bill to fund them.  It is a disgrace

Honored Contributor

I like Kathy Pet's idea.  Put them in one spot and keep them there.  Maybe chisel out a piece of barren wasteland somewhere and create a Washington DC type thing.  You would need two, one winter and one summer. Their own little country, funded by all nations participating.  Of course there would be huge fights over where this would be.  But what a waste to build these winter parks, then summer parks, and totally abandon them. 

Respected Contributor

If a site for the Olympics were to be stationary, I see no reason for it to be any other place than Olympia, Greece.   To share in the cost, any participating nation would contribute to its establishment, maintenance and security.

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Honored Contributor

@IamMrsG wrote:

If a site for the Olympics were to be stationary, I see no reason for it to be any other place than Olympia, Greece.   To share in the cost, any participating nation would contribute to its establishment, maintenance and security.

I agree that if a permanant location was going to be had, it should be Greece. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Trusted Contributor

@jaxs mom wrote:

@IamMrsG wrote:

I agree that if a permanant location was going to be had, it should be Greece. 

What a great idea.  And, they could use the revenue.  They did host before.  All overgrown now.

Trusted Contributor

KathyPet.  Nwhat a brilliant idea!!!   Greece as the perment home.  To expand on this,  a different nation could be the back up for venues and extra help in restaurants and    However,does Greece have a winter for skiing, cross country, etc?      Can we get a change.org petition going????   Brilliant wwomen here!!!!!!        tedEbear

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@PINKdogWOOD wrote:

I still say shut 'er down.  Don't even hold the Olympics there due to the zika outbreak.  I know if I were an athlete, medals or not, no way would I be going especially if I were a young woman still wanting to eventually give birth to children.  But then  young men also need to be concerned because the virus stays in them for a long time, months, that they can pass to a woman.

They (Rio govt) think they can hold such a world-wide event in order to boost their economy to revitalize their country they're sadly mistaken. 

.....not to mention bringing the virus back to the U.S., passed on via mosquito bites, person- to-person, especially to young and/or pregnant women here.

It just doesn't make sense, on any level, when there is a potentially devastating epidemic going on.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Maybe Shakira who is worth over $200 million will help them.  She is married to a pro soccer player from Spain.  Plenty of very wealthy individuals out there...we'll see.